FC: More on AAP, librarians, Waco, Ruby Ridge, and the Sklyarov case

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 16:03:41 PDT

    Five items follow:

    1. A note from the American Association of Publishers to USACM (forwarded
    via Dave Farber's interesting-people list).
    2. Matt Gaylor's response to AAP's Judith Platt about her Waco/Ruby Ridge
    reference (Judith's message is here: http://www.politechbot.com/p-02345.html)
    3. A response from Mark Rosenzweig, American Library Association Councilor
    at large
    4. A response from David Wagner, an assistant professor of computer science
    at UC Berkeley
    5. A link to a relevant St. Petersburg Times column by Robyn Blumner

    -Declan

    **********

    August 1, 2001
    TO: U.S. ACM Public Policy Committee
    FR: Allan Adler, VP for Legal and Governmental Affairs, AAP
    RE: Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA")
    This memorandum is intended to respond to the letter dated July 26, 2001
    which was sent to AAP President Pat Schroeder by Barbara Simons and Eugene
    Spafford, Co-Chairs of the U.S. Public Policy Committee of the Association
    for Computing Machinery ("ACM"), regarding ACM's opposition to the
    anticircumvention provisions of the DMCA.
    AAP is aware that ACM has "consistently opposed" the anti-circumvention
    provisions of the DMCA. During Congressional consideration of the DMCA in
    1998, I recall accepting an invitation to attend a meeting of ACM's Public
    Policy Committee to debate a representative of the American Library
    Association regarding the merits of the then-pending legislation. Although
    the ALA representative failed to participate, I used the opportunity to
    have a lively discussion of differing AAP and ACM viewpoints with Committee
    members.
    Still, not all AAP members see eye-to-eye on every issue that AAP
    addresses. AAP's support for the DMCA, however, has on many occasions been
    vigorously detailed on the public record, both during the period of its
    enactment and in subsequent related rulemaking proceedings and amicus
    briefs. In each instance, the positions adopted by AAP were vetted through
    appropriate internal channels, usually the Copyright Committee but
    sometimes also through the Board or its Executive Committee. AAP's
    President and CEO signs off on all press releases issued by AAP, and AAP
    staff are (as a practical matter) able to act on established AAP positions
    without further clearance as part of their daily activities on AAP's
    behalf. AAP members are, of course, welcome to make their views known to
    AAP and elsewhere whether they agree or disagree with positions that AAP
    has taken.
    The specific points you raise regarding the anticircumvention provisions of
    the DMCA are familiar to AAP because all of them were raised and considered
    during the process leading up to enactment of the statute. AAP respectfully
    continues to disagree with ACM's stated positions for the following reasons:
    Requiring proof of infringement or intent to infringe, as a condition for
    enforcing the anticircumvention prohibitions, would nullify their purpose.
    Even without the DMCA, copyright law enables legal action against
    infringers. The anticircumvention provisions are supposed to be
    supplementary to this protection, not merely redundant, in acknowledgment
    of the enhanced risks to copyright protection posed by digital technologies
    like the Internet. The DMCA does not, and need not, authorize copyright
    owners to use technological measures to protect their rights; nothing in
    the law has ever prevented them from doing so. But the DMCA, in light of
    the WIPO Treaties' obligation to provide "adequate legal protection and
    effective legal remedies against circumvention" of such technological
    measures, recognizes that such measures will never provide meaningful
    supplementary protection against the capabilities for flawless digital
    reproduction and instantaneous digital distribution of protected works by
    unauthorized users unless the technological measures are themselves
    protected by law against circumvention. Otherwise, the use of technological
    measures would be futile because, as we've all seen, there would
    undoubtedly be constant and, inevitably, successful efforts made to break
    them. Making protection of the technological measures contingent on whether
    the copyright owner could prove infringement or intent to infringe would
    lead to the establishment of a competitive market for circumvention tools,
    and would allow individuals to expose ostensibly protected copyrighted
    works to unauthorized exploitation provided that they did so without
    themselves actually infringing or intending to infringe upon those
    works much as Mr. Sklyarov is alleged to have done in creating software
    that does not itself infringe upon the ostensibly protected "ebook" but
    strips away the technological protection measures provided by Adobe so that
    the "ebook" content is left vulnerable to infringement by others.
    Since you apparently recognize that there is no device which is currently
    capable of distinguishing "fair use" from foul, you can understand why the
    manufacture, distribution, etc. of circumvention devices is illegal under
    the DMCA even when, as in the case of technological measures that protect
    rights of a copyright owner under copyright law (as distinct from "access
    control" measures), the act of circumvention is not itself illegal. You
    should also understand why, since "circumvention" is a distinct concept
    from "infringement," there can be no "fair use" exception to the
    anticircumvention provisions. This is not a new concept in federal law.
    Similar laws supporting the use of technological measures with
    prohibitions against circumvention and against trafficking in circumvention
    devices were established in related contexts long before enactment of the
    DMCA; see, e.g , 47 USC 553(a) (prohibiting unauthorized reception of cable
    TV service, and the manufacture or distribution of equipment intended for
    the unauthorized reception of cable TV service); 47 USC 605(e) (prohibiting
    the unauthorized decryption of satellite cable programming signals, and the
    manufacture, assembly, import, and sale of equipment used in the
    unauthorized decryption of satellite cable programming). Neither of these
    laws, intended to permit control over copyrighted video programming, has
    any "fair use" exception. Again, it's not difficult to understand why when
    one considers the practical implications of such an exception, especially
    given some of the mistaken notions about "fair use" that are routinely
    circulated as articles of faith in some circles.
    Contrary to mistaken popular beliefs, "fair use" is a defense only against
    infringement. It does not provide a right of access to any work or, perhaps
    more to the point, to any particular copy of a work. Moreover, nothing in
    copyright law requires a copyright owner to facilitate or, again more to
    the point, to make it easy for someone to engage in any "fair use" of a
    work. Similarly, nothing in the law prohibits copyright owners from making
    "fair use" more difficult through the use of anti-theft measures in
    connection with a particular copy of a work. If it were otherwise, "fair
    use" could be invoked to justify breaking into a bookstore, library,
    theater or even a private home so long as the purpose of doing so was to
    make "fair use" of a particular copy of a copyrighted work found
    within. People could insist on a right to enter a movie theater without
    charge in order to watch a movie and, perhaps, even copy a portion of it
    for the purpose of educational use or criticism. The hypotheticals can go
    on and on.
    Far from being "overly-broad" in its approach to "multi-use technologies,"
    the standards created in the DMCA by Congress are clearer and much more
    specific than the largely impractical "capable of substantial noninfringing
    uses" test concocted by a closely-divided Supreme Court seventeen years ago
    in the Sony case. In order for a person manufacturing or distributing a
    device to run afoul of the anticircumvention standards, the device must (1)
    be "primarily designed or produced for the purpose" of circumventing, (2)
    have "only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than" to
    circumvent, or (3) be "marketed by that person or another acting in concern
    with that person with that person's knowledge for use in"
    circumventing. These standards clearly do not threaten VCRs or PCs and can
    hardly be characterized as traps for the unwary.
    As for the exemptions from the anticircumvention provisions, well, they may
    not be as broad as ACM would prefer, but AAP believes they represent a fair
    attempt at balancing competing interests. The "reverse engineering"
    exemption, for example, essentially codified the existing caselaw as
    represented by Sega Enterprises Ltd. v. Accolade, Inc., 977 F.2d 1510 (9th
    Cir. 1992). The "encryption research" exemption broadly permits such
    research, together with the use of appropriate tools, provided that
    criteria for "good faith encryption research" are met. The underlying
    concept of the exemption is to ensure that such research is not merely a
    pretext for circumvention, and to emphasize that valuable legitimate
    research can be conducted without facilitating infringement. Beyond this,
    the "security testing" exemption, which focuses on circumvention to access
    a computer, computer system, or computer network, was included precisely in
    recognition of ACM's point that merely providing an "encryption research"
    exemption would be too limiting with respect to computer security research.
    As a final point, I would urge interested ACM members to carefully read not
    only the actual language of the DMCA anticircumvention provisions, but also
    the legislative history as set forth in the House Judiciary Committee's
    Section-by-Section Analysis of the House-Passed Version of the Legislation,
    105th Cong., 2d Sess. (Serial No. 6) (Sept. 1998) and the House-Senate
    Conference Report on the Final Version of the Legislation, 105th Cong., 2d
    Sess. (Rpt. No. 105-796) (Oct. 1998). Hopefully, these explanations of the
    legislative intent behind the DMCA's provisions will help to allay some of
    ACM's concerns.