FC: More on New Jersey officials sue news website over namecalling

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 07:55:29 PDT

    Previous Politech coverage:
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02355.html

    And:

    http://www.bergenrecord.com/news/pmemd200108165.htm

        [...] Paul Alan Levy, an attorney with the non-profit
        Public Citizen Litigation Group, sent a letter Wednesday to Superior
        Court in Hackensack. He raised questions about officials' attempts to
        force the Internet service provider to identify the 60 people who
        posted messages under anonymous screen names.

        Levy, who argued the Dendrite case, in which a New Jersey appellate
        court upheld the rights of anonymous online critics against companies, said
        the Moldow case is more troubling because it involves public
        officials.

        "We are concerned about people's rights to speak anonymously on the
        Internet," Levy said. "There's no right to go on the Internet and
        libel people, but there need to be procedures in place to protect
        their rights before they are identified." [...]

    -Declan

    ********