FC: DNI Copyright Institute now open for business -- sign up now!

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 20:07:14 PDT

    ********

    Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:31:34 -0700
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: Peggy Richardson - mer-IT Consulting <peggy@mer-it.com>
    Subject: Interesting DNA/Cloning markeitng idea

    Hello Mr. McCullagh,
    You must have already seen this, but just in case not, I thought you and
    your politechbot readers might find this interesting. Only in America would
    someone find a way to sell you the rights to something you already own by
    birthright. (My question is, what if I rush out and copyright Michael
    Jordan's DNA tomorrow? Can I then legally clone him without his permission?
    What an interesting retirement income plan.)
    Good day,
    Peggy in Canada

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1492000/1492859.stm

    [excerpt]
    Wednesday, 15 August, 2001, 17:59 GMT 18:59 UK
    US firm offers stars DNA copyright
    A privately-held corporation in the United States is trying to persuade
    famous individuals to copyright their DNA. The DNA Copyright Institute, San
    Franscisco, wants stars to use its services to strengthen their legal
    position should anyone decide to clone them against their will.
    [see link above for rest of article]

    ********