FC: Politech photos of DC after attack, and many, many links

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 13:08:48 PDT

    Photos of Washington, DC -- the White House, downtown, and the Pentagon --
    that I took yesterday after the attacks:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/911-terrorist-attacks.html

    A sad, touching Userfriendly cartoon:
    http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20010912&mode=classic

    SPOT infrared satellite image of Manhattan, acquired on September 11 at
    11:55 AM ET. Image may be freely reproduced with "CNES/SPOT Image 2001"
    copyright attribution:
    http://www.spot.com/home/news/NYC-091101.jpg

    Bin Laden applauds attack but denies involvement, aide says:
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2001/09/12/binladen-happy.htm

    FBI questioning people in Boston, Massachusetts, and Florida, asks for help
    in finding two vehicles:
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/12/investigation.terrorism/

    Massachusetts police nab at least five men alleged to be collaborators in
    attack:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/ausattk09122001.htm

    Boston hotel raided; White House and Air Force one were reportedly targets
    of attackers; President Bush vows to avenge:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16714-2001Sep12.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/hlead.htm
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/12/national/12CND-PLANE.html

    Terrorists allegedly trained as pilots inside U.S.:
    http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/09/12/investigation_010912

    Alleged telephone account of passengers on flight that crashed near
    Pittsburgh rushing terrorists:
    http://www.jerrypournelle.com/mail/currentmail.html#eye

    San Francisco mayor receives don't-travel-to-NYC warning -- eight hours
    before Tuesday's attacks happen:
    http:///www.sfgate.com/today/0912_chron_mnreport.shtml

    Blood donation centers list (SF locations):
    http://4.21.235.79/donating/centers.htm
    In NYC:
    http://www.nybloodcenter.org
    How to find your local Red Cross location:
    http://www.redcross.org/where/where.html

    NSA allegedly now needs a fatter budget:
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/europe/09/12/janes.underfunding/index.html

    Terror attack linked with computer games (flight simulators):

    Rebel group, not U.S., apparently responsible for Afghanistan explosions:
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/09/11/kabul.blasts/index.html

    Donate money to Red Cross via Pay Pal (thanks to DL and SA for these):
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/relief-outside
    via Yahoo Pay Direct:
    http://paydirect.yahoo.com/PD/onePage/onePageRedCrossMoney-drv.pd/
    via Amazon:
    http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/paypage/PKAXFNQH7EKCX/107-8648671-8954909

    Jonathan Wallace's account of the 9-11 NYC events, "A Hard Rain":
    http://www.spectacle.org/0901/wtc.html

    "The tactical blame falls on the U.S. government, which has grievously
    failed in its topmost duty, to protect American citizens from harm":
    http://opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=95001105

    911 call preceded fiery Pennsylvania crash;
    http://chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0109120251sep12.story

    Federal government websites useless in providing info on attacks:
    http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2001/0910/web-sites-09-12-01.asp

    Excite poll that says (as of 2:30 pm ET Wed) that over half of
    self-selected respondents would not give up their freedoms to thwart terrorism:
    http://news.excite.com/news/poll/

    Country-by-country reaction:
    http://www.sltrib.com/09122001/nation_w/131617.htm

    Officials finger bin Laden as top suspect:
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20010912-4268220.htm

    "Arab leaders have stressed that anti-US feeling is reaching a peak,
    fuelled by US support for Israel and the belief that its hands-off approach
    to the conflict was encouraging Jerusalem to crush the (Palestinian) intifada":
    http://news.ft.com/ft/gx.cgi/ftc?pagename=View&c=Article&cid=FT3S0L82IRC&live=true

    Top government leaders were evacuated to the underground Mt. Weather bunker
    (article doesn't say this, but that's the "secure government facility 75
    miles west of Washington"):
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20010911/aponline182325_000.htm

    Background on Mt. Weather (a fascinating, and spooky place -- I've driven
    by the mountaintop entrance -- the rest is underground):
    http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/c3i/mt_weather.htm

    "It's essential to point out just how many of the world's more baleful
    terrorists and mass murderers were born precisely from the kind of
    operations now advocated by the bomb-and-assassinate crowd":
    http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2001/09/12/blowback/index.html

    Mailing list "for dealing with the aftermath (political, emotional, etc.)":

    U.S. allows limited air service to resume:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1539000/1539877.stm

    Akamai mourns executive, co-founder who was aboard hijacked airplane:
    http://www.akamai.com/html/en/nr/press/press292.html

    Akamai-powered Washington Post photo gallery:
    http://a188.g.akamaitech.net/f/188/920/5m/www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/front.htm

    Norman Y. Mineta, secretary of transportation, statement:
    http://www.dot.gov/affairs/dot9301.htm

    Attacks to "accentuate" bear market:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/yhoo/story.asp?guid=%7B8C70CA09-C71D-423B-BEEE-E9E6816DCD70%7D&siteid=myyahoo&dist=myyahoo

    Federal government's earlier life-value estimate ("those agencies that use
    a dollar value of life in economic analyses should use $1.5 million"):
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/legsregs/directives/techadvs/t75702.htm

    "No country will salute the men who carried out such actions; but many
    people in the Arab world will be privately rejoicing that America has at
    last been made to suffer for what most Arabs regards as its blinkered
    pro-Israel policy":
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,248-2001314681,00.html

    "Bullseye," say Egyptians as they cheer, celebrate Tuesday's attacks:
    http://asia.dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/world/afp/article.html?s=asia/headlines/010912/world/afp/_Bullseye___say_Egyptians_as_they_celebrate_anti-US_attacks.html

    Palestinians in Lebanon fire with joy after attacks:
    http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010911/1/1fkyw.html

    Partial list of victims:
    http://usatoday.com/news/nation/2001/09/11/victims-list.htm

    Oil futures top $30 after attacks:
    http://www.ftmarketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B9FD7AF3C-8C7F-4782-B1F5-03D85048635B%7D&siteid=mktw

    ABC, Fox pull terrorist-themed movies after attacks:
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Technology%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_tech&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99.ht&s2=ad_right1_technology&bt=ad_position1_technology&middle=ad_frame2_technology&s=

    Senate Intelligence committee to probe NSA-CIA's failure to perform:
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Top%20World%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_topworld&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99.ht&s2=ad_right1_windex&bt=ad_position1_windex&middle=ad_frame2_windex&s=AO56luh

    "Mr bin Laden himself recently released a long video, during which he
    repeated his usual fulminations against America. An Arab journalist with
    ties to Mr bin Laden's cadres had reported talk of an 'unprecedented'
    action against America":
    http://www.economist.com/agenda/displayStory.cfm?story_id=779127

    "Hardball, mideast-style liquidation" is a useful political tool:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-horowitz091001.shtml

    Terrorist jitters spread around the globe:
    http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/09/12/worldreax_010912

    No more survivors expected at Pentagon:
    http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/09/12/pentagon_010912

    eBay has imposed a temporary ban on the sale of attack-related items:
    http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Technology%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_tech&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99.ht&s2=ad_right1_technology&bt=ad_position1_technology&middle=ad_frame2_technology&s=

    Slashdot's collection of links:
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/12/161200&mode=nocomment

    Time's terrorism cover stories archive:
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,174538,00.html

    IMC coverage:
    http://nyc.indymedia.org/feature.php3?category=NYC&feature_id=SEPT11

    CNN chronology of attacks (very informative):
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/11/chronology.attack/index.html

    Hijacked passengers ordered to call families
    ----------
        Passengers on board the airliners used in the terrorist attacks
        on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were ordered by their
        captors to call relatives to say they were about to die. Among
        them were Barbara Olson, a TV commentator and wife of the
        Solicitor General. (09/12/01)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14365-2001Sep11.html

    Survivors call for help from beneath rubble
    ----------
        As survivors buried under the rubble of New York City's World
        Trade Center use cell phones to call for help, rescue workers
        struggle to reach the living and pull them to safety. The death
        toll is unknown at this time. (09/12/01)

    Flag and gun sales skyrocketing
    ----------
        Gun and flag sales peaked across Central Florida as defiant,
        fearful residents rushed to arm themselves Tuesday and display
        their patriotism. "It's a concentrated Y2K situation that started
        since we opened up this morning," said Khaled Akkawe, who sold
        more than 100 assault rifles and shotguns through his two Shoot
        Straight gun stores. (09/12/01)
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orl-locguns12091201sep12.story?coll=orl%2Dhome%2Dheadlines

    Feds use attack to push Carnivore
    ----------
        Just hours after what some commentators have dubbed a second
        Pearl Harbor, federal police reportedly increased internet
        surveillance. ISPs are reportedly quietly complying with FBI
        requests to monitor electronic communications. (09/12/01)

    Arab-Americans and Muslims fear backlash in wake of attacks
    ----------
        Fearing blind anger in the wake of the terrorist attacks on the
        World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Muslim- and Arab-American
        leaders pleaded with the American public not to take out its
        anger on their communities. (09/12/01)
    http://www.dallasnews.com/national/468938_12backlash.html

    President Bush vows justice for the attacks
    ----------
        In the wake of the bloodiest terrorist attack in history,
        President Bush vowed that U.S. authorities will find those
        responsible for the attacks. He warned that the U.S. won't
        distinguish between those who committed the acts and those
        who protect them. (09/12/01)

    Early evidence points to Bin Laden
    ----------
        While the people behind the bloody attack on the United States
        have yet to be positively identified, the prime suspect is
        billionaire terrorist Osama bin Laden. U.S. intelligence
        intercepted communications between his supporters which
        acknowledged "a couple of targets were hit." (09/12/01)

    Bin Laden happy over deadly strikes, but denies involvement
    ----------
        According to a Palestinian journalist who spoke with Osama
        bin Laden, the billionaire terrorist congratulated the people
        who carried out the deadly terrorist strikes in the United
        States, but denied that he was involved. (09/12/01)
    http://www.dallasnews.com/attack_on_america/stories/468958_binladen0912e.html

    World braces for terror as U.S. attacks cast global chill
    ----------
        With the United States reeling from the deadly attack on the
        World Trade Center and the Pentagon, people around the world
        more accustomed to terrorism, though not on this scale, stepped
        up security and wondered whether their cities might be next.
        (09/12/01)
    http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20010912_455.html

    Battle cry
    ----------
    by Deroy Murdock
        "American leaders and voters alike should be very careful about
        embracing measures today that will leave citizens less free
        in the long run in an effort to catch criminals in the here and
        now. The Bill of Rights must not collapse with the Twin Towers
        ... but they should feel no such restraint about retaliating
        against whatever group or nation perpetrated these acts of war."
        (09/11/01)
    http://www.nationalreview.com/murdock/murdock091101.shtml

    Resisting hysteria
    ----------
    by Jesse Walker
        "This is a time for expert police work. It is a time when the
        intelligence community can try to make up for its disastrous
        failure to foresee this assault, by finding the people who did
        it and bringing them to rapid justice. It is not a time for
        unfocused ... hysteria." (09/12/01)
    http://www.reason.com/hod/jw091201.html

    The price of empire
    ----------
    by Alan Bock
        Americans fail to understand just how deeply hated the United
        States is in many parts of the world -- and hated by people
        ready and able to take desperate and ruthless actions. (09/12/01)
    http://www.antiwar.com/bock/b091201.html

    Reaping the whirlwind
    ----------
    by Gene Callahan
        "Today's events should bring home a simple, clear message: It
        is time to stop the madness. It is time to refuse to lend any
        support to the ravaging of innocent lives in the world-
        domination games of the power-mad." (09/12/01)
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/callahan/callahan54.html

    Wake up America!
    ----------
    by Richard Rieben
        "People are not their governments. But they are wrong to think
        that they will not bear the consequences for their governments'
        actions." (09/11/01)
    http://www.tbns.net/kelly/articles/art24.html

    Level-headed response to terrorism
    ----------
    by Steve Farrell
        "In the wake of the most terrible terrorist attack in this
        nation's history, every American would do well to insist that
        our nation's leaders prepare a strong response, and yet
        an intelligent one, one that punishes our enemies but protects
        our liberties." (09/12/01)
    http://www.newsmax.com/commentmax/articles/Steve_Farrell.shtml

    Imperial paralysis
    ----------
    by Justin Raimondo
        The hawks are out beating the drums for war -- against somebody,
        anybody -- to avenge yesterday's tragedy. But, "the only way we
        can 'win' such a battle is to lose the very values that we want
        to defend in the first place." (09/12/01)
    http://www.antiwar.com/justin/j091201.html

    When will we learn?
    ----------
    by Harry Browne
        "Our foreign policy has been insane for decades. It was only
        a matter of time until Americans would have to suffer personally
        for it. It is a terrible tragedy of life that the innocent so
        often have to suffer for the sins of the guilty. When will we
        learn that we can't allow our politicians to bully the world
        without someone bullying back eventually?" (09/12/01)
    http://www.antiwar.com/orig/browne2.html

    The unknown enemy
    ----------
    by Joseph Sobran
        "Foreigners aren't quite real to Americans, and most Americans
        are unaware of how profoundly their government antagonizes much
        of the human race. We are easy-going people who generally have
        no idea how bullying we seem to foreigners. Until now we have
        had no experience of what the U.S. government has so often
        inflicted on others. Now, at least, we have an inkling of what
        it feels like." (09/11/01)
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/sobran/sobran195.html

    The unending war comes home
    ----------
    by Ryan McMaken
        "We now have a choice between two options. We can escalate the
        current low intensity war that the United States is waging
        against nations of the world from Columbia to Iraq. Or we can
        pause and re-examine our current imperial adventures around the
        world and recognize that terrorism against the United States is
        the natural consequence of trying to tell the rest of the world
        how to live." (09/11/01)
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/mcmaken/mcmaken48.html

    A tribute to trade
    ----------
    by Lew Rockwell
        "The sight of New York City's twin World Trade Center towers
        falling to the ground, the result of an act of deliberate
        aggression, seems to symbolize two points that seem entirely
        forgotten today: the magnificent contribution that commerce
        makes to civilization and just how vulnerable it is to its
        enemies." (09/11/01)
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/rockwell/tradetribute.html

    Apocalypse by deed
    by Charles Paul Freund
        The scale of potential terror meets the scope of available
        media. (09/11/01)
    http://www.reason.com/hod/cf091101.html