FC: Columnist calls for Draconian Net-crackdown after attacks

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 16:11:42 PDT

    ----- Forwarded message from Ken Brown <k.brownat_private> -----

    From: Ken Brown <k.brownat_private>
    Subject: London Daily Telegraph wants to ban all crypto and invade
      Afghanistan
    To: Tim May <tcmayat_private>
    Cc: cypherpunksat_private
    Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:55:27 +0100

    In an opinion  column in the London Daily Telegraph, John Keegan calls
    for a combined US/Russian/British invasion of Afghanistan:

    http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk:80/dt?ac=006026232037638&rtmo=pUsM4USe&atmo=rrrrrrrq&pg=/01/9/14/do01.html

    He then goes on to say, and I quote:

    ==========

    "There are other current movements of which to take note, as yet
    insubstantial but certain to gather concrete form. One is the retreat of
    human rights lawyers from the forefront of public life. America in a war
    mood will have no truck with tender concern for constitutional
    safeguards of the liberty of its enemies. The other, which ordinary
    Americans will have to learn to bear, is interference with their liberty
    of instant electronic access to friends and services."

    "The World Trade Centre outrage was co-ordinated on the internet,
    without question. If Washington is serious in its determination to
    eliminate terrorism, it will have to forbid internet providers to allow
    the transmission of encrypted messages - now encoded by public key
    ciphers that are unbreakable even by the National Security Agency's
    computers - and close down any provider that refuses to comply."

    "Uncompliant providers on foreign territory should expect their
    buildings to be destroyed by cruise missiles. Once the internet is
    implicated in the killing of Americans, its high-rolling days may be
    reckoned to be over."

    The "Torygraph" is the most conservative of Britain's serious
    newspapers, and is edited from (IIRC) the 30th floor of London's tallest
    office tower, which overlooks London City Airport,  from which STOL
    planes take off pointing straight at the tower. I know, I've been there
    myself, it scared me then.  Their fear is excusable. Their
    bloodthirstiness is understandable. Their stupidity is neither.

    Ken Brown

    ----- End forwarded message -----

    ----- End forwarded message -----