FC: More on Senate votes for warrantless taps -- the U.K. experience

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Sep 14 2001 - 17:33:50 PDT

    "Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore use"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-02511.html

    **********

    From: "Caspar Bowden" <cbat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>, "'Ukcrypto'" <ukcryptoat_private>
    Subject: RE: Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore use
    Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:34:00 +0100

     > http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,46852,00.html
     > Senate OKs FBI Net Spying
     > By Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
     > 12:55 p.m. Sep. 14, 2001 PDT
     >
     > WASHINGTON -- FBI agents soon may be able to spy on Internet users
     > legally without a court order.
     >
     > On Thursday evening, two days after the worst terrorist attack in U.S.
     > history, the Senate approved the "Combating Terrorism Act of 2001,"
     > which enhances police wiretap powers and permits monitoring in more
     > situations....

    (snip)

     > Warrantless surveillance appears to be limited to the
     > addresses of websites visited, the names and addresses of
     > e-mail correspondents, and so on, and is not intended to
     > include the contents of communications. But the legislation
     > would cover URLs, which include information such as what Web
     > pages you're visiting and what terms you type in when
     > visiting search engines.

    Declan,

    Politech readers might be interested that there was an eloquent and
    substantial debate about search engine parameters and individual web
    pages in the analogous portions of the British RIP Act.

    See
    http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhansrd/vo000612/text/00612-21.htm

    And
    http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/ld199900/ldhansrd/vo000619/text/00619-28.htm

    Circumstances obviously not comparable, but FYI - because of the
    attention focussed on this issue, RIP traffic data definition was
    amended after major climbdown so that it excluded these:

    "traffic data ... includes data identifying a computer file or computer
    program access to which is obtained, or which is run, by means of the
    communication to the extent only that the file or program is identified
    by reference to the apparatus in which it is stored."
    RIP Act S.21(6)
    http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--c.htm#21

    (...unless our new Home Secretary is cooking up a way to rectify *that*)
    --
    Caspar Bowden                           www.fipr.org
    Director, Foundation for Information Policy Research