FC: Majority of Americans want anti-encryption laws, poll says

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 20:26:24 PDT

    The following excerpts come from Monday's Hotline, a daily political
    newsletter read by just about everyone in DC. This message should be read
    in a non-proportional typeface like Courier. If your mail reader can't do
    that, go to the politechbot.com archives and read it there.

    Unfortunately for the clarity of debate here, the
    ban-crypto-without-backdoors question is poorly worded ("Should Encryption
    Laws Be Reduced To Aid CIA/FBI Surveillance?"), but then again I suspect
    most people figured it out. This poll is noteworthy not only for what it
    found, but that the pollsters included the crypto question in the first
    place. It shows that, all of a sudden, this has become a serious debate in
    Washington.

    Also note that 72 percent of those surveyed said anti-encryption laws would
    be "somewhat" or "very" helpful in preventing similar terrorist attacks.

    -Declan

    *********

    Conducted 9/13-14/01 by Princeton Survey Research Associates; surveyed
    1,001 adults aged 18 and over; margin of error +/- 3% (release, 9/15).

    Favor Or Oppose The Following?
                                               Favor Oppose
    Attack suspected terrorists like bin
    Laden even if we're not sure they're
    responsible for last week's attack          54%   40%
    Attack terrorist bases and countries
    that support them even if there is a
    high likelihood for civilian casualties     71     21

    Fav/Unfav Ratings ----Fav---- ---Unfav---
                       Very Mostly Mostly Very
    Military         58%   36%      2%  2%
    FBI                37     48       9   3
    CIA                28    44       9   6

    How Confident That National And Local Law Enforcement Can Stop
    Terrorist Plots In The U.S.
    Very Somewhat Not Too Confident Not At All
      32%      42%            17%        7%

    How Much Would The Following Prevent Similar Terrorist Attacks?
                           Very Somewhat Not Too Much Not At All
    Reduce encryption to
    aid CIA/FBI             35       37          12         9

    Should Encryption Laws Be Reduced To Aid CIA/FBI Surveillance?
        Yes No
        54% 39%

    U.S. Put Arabs and Arab-Americans Under Special Surveillance?
        Agree Disagree
        32%   62%

    *********

    http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/business/docs/bizletters16.htm
    Headline inflammatory
    2001-09-17 05:45:23

    I hope, in light of this terrible tragedy, that Dan Gillmor will cease his
    whining about personal privacy and recognize that our national security and
    the safety of our citizens override his concern about privacy, ``We have
    been tested before and survived: Don't let criminals shut down our
    freedoms'' (Aug. 12). The government absolutely must have the ability to
    monitor all encrypted messages, and anyone sending or receiving encrypted
    messages on our soil that cannot be decoded by the appropriate federal
    agency must be subject to arrest and seizure of the encryption equipment.
    We are at war, and we all, including Gillmor, need to recognize that.
    Al Colby
    Corralitos

    *********