FC: Frank Sudia's anti-crypto stand: Razor blade genie is out of bottle

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 22:06:25 PDT

    [Anti-strong, nonescrowed crypto, at least. There's never enough space in
    Subject: lines. Previous messages:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=sudia --DBM]

    **********

    From: "Frank Sudia" <frankat_private>
    To: "Carl Ellison" <cmeat_private>
    Cc: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: The Razor Blade Genie is Out of the Bottle
    Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:37:55 -0700

     > I was talking about the nature of strong cryptography itself and
     > the reasons that it is ubiquitous and can not be controlled.  I
     > notice that you chose not to address that issue, so I am forced
     > to assume you cannot.

    Carl,

    It is ludicrous to argue that because crypto is widely available it cannot
    (or should not) be regulated.  Razor blades and box cutters are also widely
    available, and in fact it is easy to make sharp instruments by grinding
    pieces of metal.  Basement factories would be trivial to set up.  This does
    not mean we cannot outlaw assault, robbery, or other crimes committed using
    such weapons.

    As I make more clear in today's edits (not a lot new) as a matter of control
    systems theory, ALL your freedoms that are worth anything are 100% derived
    from the presence of a strong and effective government, to enforce them
    against your local warlord.  To impede reasonable law enforcement and
    investigation is an "insult," in the medical sense, to our government.  This
    was certainly grasped in the 1600s (think 30 Years War), but has been
    forgotten by those blinded by the affluence of our exuberant era.

    The time sequence is (1) effective government formed, (2) meaningful
    guarantees of liberty go into effect.  If reverse the time ordering, you
    wind up with nothing.

    The legislative power of the people (not me, the crypto guys are the megalo
    maniacs) could disable every existing copy of PGP.  However until you decide
    that you are on the side of preserving civilization, I see little benefit to
    be gained from public discussion of this and many other potentially
    effective measures.  Not just you, but everyone it seems, is in denial about
    just how serious and fundamental of a problem this is.

    Also you might want to read de Tocqueville, where he notes that in a
    democracy if you can get 51% you can go after anyone.  When you mess around
    with sovereign power, it's not a walk in the park.

    Declan, what about you?  Are you an objective policy analyst, or a creature
    of your dot-com readership?  Feel free to repost this, with its title intact
    please.

    Cheers,
    Frank

    www.sudialab.com/sov-eppc.htm