FC: Salon begins to charge for "virtually all" news articles

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 09:23:42 PDT

    http://www.salon.com/letters/editor/2001/10/01/premium_news/index.html

        Oct. 1, 2001 | Starting today Salon will begin publishing virtually
        all of its News and Politics articles in our Premium edition. This
        means that if you don't already subscribe to Salon Premium, you will
        need to do so in order to keep reading Salon's coverage of the Bush
        administration and the current global crisis.

        [...]

    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/02/business/media/02SALO.html

    October 2, 2001
    Salon, Magazine on the Web, Will Charge Readers of News
    By FELICITY BARRINGER

    The Web magazine Salon, facing sharply lower advertising revenues and
    increased costs for gathering news, has decided to make its news and
    political coverage available only to paying subscribers.
    The goal, said David Talbot, the editor of the six-year-old magazine, is to
    rely on circulation revenue for half of next year's $7.5 million budget.
    That goal, an ambitious one by the standard of any magazine, print or
    online, is an indication of the unremittingly sour climate for Web advertising.
    Another high-profile online site, Steven Brill's Contentville, quit
    business on Friday, leaving its 15 employees without jobs. In an e-mail
    message to the staff, Mr. Brill said, "Despite the great work of the
    Contentville staff and the great support we had from our partners, my idea
    for Contentville just didn't work." Contentville allowed readers to go to
    one site to find and purchase articles from a variety of newspapers and
    magazines, as well as books, dissertations and other sources.
    [...]