FC: Jam Echelon day is today, definitely not a publicity stunt

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 22:25:18 PDT

    *******

    Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 16:46:17 -0700 (PDT)
    From: James Ausman <ausmanat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Jam Echelon Day!

    http://cipherwar.com/echelon/index2.htm

    *******

    Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:09:14 -0700
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    From: Michael Teetering <teeteringat_private>
    Subject: A Jam Echelon Day request

    Hi Declan,
        I know that your original evaluation of our efforts was that it was
    primarily a publicity stunt. Although that may have actually been a true
    assessment, that is not a bad thing in view of the fact that we have always
    been dead serious about getting the subject of the existence of Echelon
    before the public eye.
        Tomorrow is Jam Echelon Day and your forum is an important gateway to a
    lot of people who can make this a stronger success than it has been so far.
        With that in mind, could you find a place in your releases for the
    following? (Any or all, as the reminder is the important part.)
        Either way, thanks for being there. You do an important job.
                                     - - - Michael

    ----------
    Dear Sponsors, Friends and Concerned Netizens,
        We want to take this time to thank each and every one of you for
    supporting this effort with your constructive suggestions, mirrors, and
    news coverage. We never could have reached so many people without you.

        Currently there are well over 30 mirrors, available in seven languages,
    with news coverage in more countries and languages than we can keep track of.

           Actually, there is no real intent on our part to overload Echelon,
    as we recognize that this would not be possible. Our intent is to bring the
    issue of the current state of personal privacy invasion and the existence
    of Echelon to the public forum and hopefully, educate in the process.

        If every single email user in the European Union sent the entire
    trigger word list on October 21st, Echelon wouldn't feel the impact but
    minimally. The truth is, that they are geared way beyond our ability to
    actually create an impact.

        What we are really doing is running  a public awareness campaign. With
    that goes the addressing of the overall issues of personal privacy and the
    underlying methodology for assuring this in a "not perfect" world. All of
    the coverage we have garnered has been success, based on our actual goals.

        Echelon does not monitor internally in the States. (As far as we can
    ascertain.) An email campaign would ONLY be effective to, or within the
    European Union. I think that flooding the servers in Europe with Echelon
    related mail of an un-requested nature would hurt the cause while not
    impacting Echelon in the slightest. Most email users in the states would be
    hard-pressed to generate even 10 addresses in Europe anyway.

        With some success on our part we may be able to cause discussion about
    the use of encryption by those who have, up to this point, never considered
    it's use. The pressure may begin to build against Echelon later as the
    daily awareness factor takes hold.

        With luck, the larger issues of personal privacy invasion will be
    brought before the general public's awareness. Only in that way will this
    campaign make a difference.

                             - - - Scully and Michael Teetering

    More information can be found at www.cipherwar.com/echelon
    E.U. Addresses to mail to can be found at: http://www.gksoft.com/govt/en/