FC: Be careful before self-rating: You may find your site deleted

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 12:37:58 PDT

    [I wonder how Politech should be rated. Certainly we've had discussions
    even today (http://www.politechbot.com/p-02691.html) about violence that
    used foul language. Is Politech a news site? How about someone at Geocities
    who writes the occasional opinion article? How about www.madcowculture.com?
    Or www.mrlizard.com? --Declan]

    ********

    From: dixonmat_private
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Microsoft, AOL, Yahoo endorse self-rating system at event
    today
    Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 12:00:19 -0400

    On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:42:06 -0400, you wrote:

     >This self-rating idea was silly enough when it surfaced circa 1997,
     >and most of us thought it died a natural death. But no, silly ideas in
     >politics never do -- they devolve into trade associations instead.

    I know someone who writes slash (fanfic involving explicit, usually
    homosexual, sex).  She conscientiously went through and rated all the pages on
    her site which contained anything inappropriate for children.  Her webhost
    (Geocities, I think; I could be misremembering) promptly deleted those pages.
    Unrated pages on other websites on the same provider  with similar content
    stayed up.

    --
    Meredith Dixon <dixonmat_private>
    Check out *Raven Days*: http://www.ravendays.org