FC: Bowdlerized by Microsoft (or, politically correct software)

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 22:58:47 PDT

    ********

    From: "Trei, Peter" <ptreiat_private>
    To: "'declanat_private'" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Bowdlerized by Microsoft
    Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 16:47:47 -0400

    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/23/opinion/23GOLD.html
    (requires free registration, blah blah blah...)

    October 23, 2001

    Bowdlerized by Microsoft

    By MARK GOLDBLATT

    I was hard at the grindstone, crusading against hypocrisy and chaos, armed
    with my laptop and Microsoft Word 2000. I'd just typed: "Only a fool would
    believe." But "fool" did not seem right. So I hit Shift-F7 to call up the
    thesaurus. The lone synonym that Word provided was a verb: trick.

    [...]

    Tim transferred me to Kate, also cheerful, who promised to look into the
    matter. Several days later, Kate sent me an e-mail message with an
    explanation: "Microsoft's approach regarding the spell checker dictionary
    and
    thesaurus is to not suggest words that may have offensive uses or provide
    offensive definitions for any words. The dictionary and spell checker is
    updated with each release of Office to ensure that the tools reflect current
    social and cultural environments."

    [...]

    But maybe this isn't oversensitivity. Maybe it is what postmodernists call
    erasure: since language creates reality, if we erase every noun connoting
    below-average intelligence, the world instantly becomes a smarter place.

    Now, if only Microsoft would erase "hypocrisy" and "chaos" . . . .