FC: More on FIRE and the state of America's campuses after Sep. 11

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 21:29:08 PDT

    ********

    From: "Gabe" <stryferat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Re: FIRE on post-Sep. 11 attacks on liberty on America's campuses
    Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:38:43 -0700

     > * At Central Michigan University, an administrator told several students
     > remove various patriotic posters (an American flag, an eagle, and so on)
     > from their dormitory.  On October 8, a Residential Advisor told them that
     > their display was "offensive," and that they had until the end of the day
     > remove the items. As one student said, "American flags or pictures that
    were
     > pro-American had to be taken down because they were offensive to people."
     > FIRE has contacted President Michael Rao, along with the Board of Trustees
     > and officials in the Office of Residential Life, to insist that this
    public
     > institution not violate its students' free speech rights.  FIRE awaits his
     > response.

    I attend Central Michigan University, live in the same dormitory complex,
    and have been following this issue closely.  At first glance it seems as if
    this is a reasonable issue for FIRE to pick up, but in actuality, it has
    been blown out of proportion by rumor and word of mouth.  Flags are *not*
    forbidden, in fact there are many outside my door.  Displaying Anti-Arabian
    propaganda, such as many of those e-mail forwards we consider to be in bad
    taste, are discouraged.

    As always...what is an e-mail without a link:
    http://www.cm-life.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2001/10/24/3bd64f07b5998

    --Gabriel Friedmann

    ********