FC: Senate set to vote Thursday on anti-terror bill, House OKs it 357-66

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 06:48:39 PDT

    Text of USA Act v3.0 (final):
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/usa.act.final.102401.html

    House debate over USA Act:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/usa.act.debate.102401.html

    How your House member voted:
    http://clerkweb.house.gov/cgi-bin/vote.exe?year=2001&rollnumber=398

    Background:
    http://www.wartimeliberty.com/search.pl?topic=legislation

    ---

    http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,47858,00.html

       USA Act Stampedes Through
       By Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
       2:00 a.m. Oct. 25, 2001 PDT

       WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate is set to end a month-long debate over
       balancing freedom and security on Thursday by granting police more
       surveillance power and sharply curtailing Americans' privacy.

       Since the House of Representatives already has voted for the
       anti-terrorism bill (400 KB), the widely expected Senate endorsement
       would send the labyrinthine legislation to President Bush for his
       signature later this week.

       Approval in both chambers -- the House voted 357-66 for the so-called
       USA Act on Wednesday -- is set to take place as fears of anthrax have
       snarled the usual course of business on Capitol Hill and temporarily
       shuttered most of Congress' office buildings.

       The clandestine process that Senate and House leaders used to usher
       versions of the bill through the legislative process with little
       opportunity for public debate drew condemnations from a minority of
       politicians.

       "The report has just come to us," said Rep. Robert Scott (D-Virginia)
       during the debate that began Tuesday. "It would be helpful if we would
       wait for some period of time so that we can at least review what we
       are voting on, but I guess that is not going to stop us, so here we
       are."

       [...]