FC: Cato Institute tech-and-society conf 11/14 on intellectual prop.

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 08:37:39 PST

    [The Cato Institute was kind enough to invite me to moderate a panel at
    this event. --Declan]

    ********

    From: "Jerry Brito" <jbritoat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Cato IP conference will rock!
    Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:06:46 -0400

    Declan,

    I thought your Politech readers might like to know about Cato's upcoming IP
    conference. We certainly look forward to you moderating the panel "Should
    Code Breakers Go to Jail? The Limits of Fair Use and Anti-circumvention."
    Here's some info I hope you can pass along.

    The one-day event is Cato's fifth annual Technology and Society conference
    and it's on Wednesday, November 14. This year's focus is on "The Future of
    Intellectual Property in the Information Age." Speakers include Rep. Rick
    Boucher (D-Va.), Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), and EFF's John Perry Barlow.

    I've included a text program below. For a more fancy one and to register,
    one can go to:

    http://www.cato.org/events/futureip/program.html

    Thanks for your help as always,
    Jerry Brito

    PROGRAM

    8:00­8:30 a.m.
    Registration

    8:30­8:45 a.m.
    Welcoming Remarks
    Patrick Dillon, Editor, Forbes ASAP

    8:45­9:30 a.m.
    Morning Keynote Speech
    Rep. Rick Boucher (D-Va.)

    9:30­10:30 a.m.
    Panel #1: First Principles
    "Framing the Great Debate: What Rights Do We Have in Our Intangible
    Intellectual Creations?"

    Moderator: Adam Thierer, Director of Telecommunications Studies, Cato
    Institute

    James V. DeLong, Senior Fellow, Project on Technology and Innovation,
    Competitive Enterprise Institute, and Author, Property Matters

    Tom W. Bell, Associate Professor, Chapman University School of Law

    10:30­10:45 a.m.
    Break

    10:45 a.m.­12:00 p.m.
    Panel #2: Copyright-1
    "Digital Rights Management, Fair Use and Compulsory Licensing or Where Is
    Copyright Headed in the Post-Napster World: Legal or Market Solutions?"

    Moderator: Wayne Crews, Director of Technology Studies, Cato Institute

    Frank G. Hausmann, Chairman and CEO, CenterSpan Communications Corp.

    Mitch Glazier, Senior Vice President of Government Relations and Legislative
    Counsel, Recording Industry Association of America

    Stan Liebowitz, Professor of Managerial Economics, University of Texas at
    Dallas

    Robin Gross, Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation and Campaign for
    Audiovisual Free Expression

    12:00­12:45 p.m.
    Lunch—Wintergarden

    12:45­1:30 p.m.
    Luncheon Address
    Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.)

    1:30­2:45 p.m.
    Panel #3: Copyright-2
    "Technology vs. Technology: Should Code Breakers Go to Jail? The Limits of
    Fair Use and Anti-circumvention"

    Moderator: Declan McCullagh, Washington Bureau Chief, Wired News

    Marc J. Zwillinger, Partner and Group Leader of the Cyberlaw and Information
    Security Practice, Kirkland & Ellis

    Emery Simon, Special Counsel, Business Software Alliance

    Julie Cohen, Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center

    Mike Godwin, Policy Fellow, Center for Democracy and Technology

    2:45­3:00 p.m.
    Break

    3:00-3:30 p.m.
    Afternoon Keynote Address
    John Perry Barlow, Co-Founder,
    Electronic Frontier Foundation

    3:30­4:45 p.m.
    Panel #4: Patents
    "Business Method Patents: Logical Evolution or Radical Break from the Past?"

    Moderator: Drew Clark, Senior Writer, National Journal Technology Daily

    Paul Misener, Vice President, Global Public Policy, Amazon.com

    Michael Nugent, Heller Ehrman, Financial Technologies Practice Group, and
    former Executive Vice President and General Counsel, Walker Digital

    Peter Wayner, Author, Digital Copyright Protection and "How Can They Patent
    That?"

    Greg Aharonian, Editor, Internet Patent News Service, and Creator of
    www.bustpatents.com

    4:45­5:00 p.m.
    Closing Remarks