FC: ICANN to be anti-terrorist Net-cop? and a response from R. Forno

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 08:51:11 PST

    The backstory here is that ICANN ex-president Mike Roberts inadvisedly said
    last week:

    Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 11:13:54 -0500
    Subject: Response to Mike Roberts
    From: Richard Forno <rfornoat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>, <politechat_private>

    Here's one for you Declan.....cheers, rf

    Original article (with hyperlinked references) at
    http://www.infowarrior.org/articles/2001-10.html

    Daddy, Daddy, Can ICANN Play too?
    Richard Forno
    28 October 2001 : Essay #2001-10
    rfornoat_private
    c) 2001 by Author. Permission is granted to quote, reprint or redistribute
    provided the text is not altered, and appropriate credit is given.

    legitimite, and powerful, Mike Roberts wants the entity he co-founded to get
    its fair share.

    "Clemenceau said war was too important to be left to the generals. When he
    said that, 50 years ago, he might have been right. But today, war is too
    important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the
    training, nor the inclination for strategic thought.
    - General Ripper to Wing Commander Mandrake in "Doctor Strangelove" (1964)

    In his statement to the world at the Joint Session of Congress on September
    20th, President Bush looked square at the camera, and established a new
    truism: you are either with the United States, or you are with terrorists.

    This warning fell on very receptive ears for supporters and alumni of the
    Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the
    controversial Clinton-conceived entity charged with overseeing internet
    stability, domain name administration, and protocols. To ICANN supporters,
    it seemed the perfect opportunity to try and expand the influence and power
    of an organization thatís caused more headaches for the Internet community
    than pop-under advertisements for X-10 cameras.

    In a heated message to the ALSC-Forum list, ICANN's co-founder and former
    Grand Vizer and Poohbah Emeritus, Mike Roberts, formally proposed that ICANN
    should be involved in the "war against terrorism." In particular, his
    missive implies that ICANN should be involved in this "war" and work
    toë"keep people from being killed by terrorist plots hatched over the net."
    This begs the question of whether ICANN's November Board meeting will
    constitute the first roll call of the Internet's Keystone Kops? Will the
    squad be housed in the ICANN offices at Marina Del Rey? (Will each Kop be
    issued their own TLD as part of their basic equipment issue?)

    Roberts' message sounded like he's running for political office, perhaps as
    - God help us - an advisor on Homeland Security to Tom Ridge?

    For those unaware, Roberts is the former leader of an organization that -
    contrary to its established mantra - routinely operates in secret, caters to
    big business,  silences its own Board members when they dissent, and invents
    its rules of procedure and official corporate recordings as it goes along.
    If Iím not mistaken, thatís similar to how the secret police in Soviet
    Europe operated during the Cold War with impugnity, resulting in established
    censorship and the ruling class catering to wealthy special interests while
    oppressing the general population.

    Roberts notes that the October 26 bill signing ceremony marked the dawn of
    the "new Internet" and demise of the "old Internet." Those familiar with the
    legislation understand that the surveillance powers enacted into law have
    been technicaly feasible for years by law enforcement and computer criminals
    alike. From a technical perspective, itís nothing new. Granted, there is
    expanded potential for abuse by law enforcement in surveilling users, but
    people should finally understand what us security types have said for years
    - if something is deemed personal or sensitive, it should not be sent over
    the Internet, or if it must, should be protected effectively from
    unauthorized disclosure. Not to mention, confounding these techniques is not
    difficult. Thus, as Tina Turner might say, "whatís ICANN got to do with it?"

    Let Mike Roberts tell you.

    He rightfully observes that these new law enforcement powers bring the
    internet community (vendors, operators, and users) into the so-called 'war
    on terrorism' - and as such, believes that ICANN, like many other technology
    vendors, must "reconsider how this new law affects them." Contrary to
    Roberts' assessment, and the cult of personality surrounding ICANN as an
    entity, this new law does not promote ICANN's importance to World Order and
    Public Safety, nor does it further legitimize its already-dubious existence
    as the Internet's governing body.

    As I said in my comments last month, ICANN in its current form, is incapable
    of assuming additional responsibility until it can demonstrate its
    competence with what itís been chartered to do, and - more importantly - the
    Internet community can trust it. (In other words, take care of its own
    affairs first.) ICANN recently announced a renewed organizational push to
    examine Internet security matters - yet, there are few on its
    decision-making Board that have any knowledge of security issues, and even
    fewer that have been even remotely involved with operational Internet
    security at all. Like CEOs and Cabinet-level people, ICANN as a whole is the
    last group we in the Internet community want to review and implement
    security policies, but nobody seems to understand this. The blind could
    quite possibly be leading the blind here.

    Many could easily interpret this as Roberts' pining or whining (at ICANN's
    request, no doubt) to find a way for ICANN, an entity already on shaky
    ground in the eye of the Internet community,  to capitalize in something
    -anything- considered "anti-terror." After all, everybody wants a piece of
    the anti-terror pie - it's the biggest, baddest budget right now and viewed
    by many as "free money" if the correct business or policy case can be made
    to get some of it. (Besides, if ICANN, and the United States, are against
    terrorists, and you are against ICANN, that would make you a terrorist
    supporter and thus against the United States, right? How convienient.)

    According to Roberts, ICANN needs to "keep people from being killed by
    terrorist plots hatched over the net." Such actions are far outside ICANNís
    charter and competencies - proactive posturing for anti-terror is a function
    of the national security and intelligence communities that draws on a
    diverse suite of sources, methods, and resources to stave off potential
    terrorist plots and other threats. Does ICANN plan to become the Internet
    Gestapo, CyberStasi, or petition to join the US intelligence community?
    Roberts rightly notes that protective measures for root servers are
    certainly necessary and fall under ICANNís purview - critical world servers
    canít be located in basements and broom closets. ICANN would be correct to
    develop standards and policies to safeguard those critical systems. However,
    is he proposing ICANN enter the content censorship business and establishing
    what constitutes "terrorist information" on the global Internet? If so, how?

    While ICANN has a role in root server security, it is (as it should be) a
    very limited one; namely, developing policy and standards for root server
    security, not conducting operations to save all mankind from the evils of
    Internet-based terror. As ICANN Director Karl Auerbach wisely observes, not
    only is ICANN in "serious need of reform" but with regard to the Roberts
    Missive, should be more of an "observer" than a "player" in this critical
    area. A career technologist, Auerbach has posted some rather well-contrived
    suggestions for ICANNís role and improving the security and stability of the
    Internet as his website. Yes, Karl is one of the few voices of reason,
    sanity, candor, and occasional dissent on ICANN's Board. He doesn't drink
    the Kool Aid served at ICANN meetings very often, either.

    Roberts' wraps up his missive with a grave warning to the At-Large Study
    community (ALSC), many of whose views run contrary to ICANN. He admonishes
    them to be "prepared to compromise your goals" in light of the
    post-September 11th, anti-terrorist-centric ICANN organization he is trying
    to craft. Translation: As always, if you're against us, be prepared to be
    chastised, ignored, or steamrolled by us so we can stay in the spotlight and
    in-charge. Resistance is futile. (Remember President Bush's admonition
    above?)

    The missive concludes with Roberts' saying ICANN doesn't deserve the "abuse"
    it receives on various e-mail lists and public forums. This is nothing more
    than the Dot Pot calling the Dot Kettle black. Roberts is shedding crocodile
    tears here, and no sympathy should be given. The entity he helped establish
    is starting to publicly show its limitations and self-imposed
    shortcomings....let the truth be heard! While some forums are more
    inflammatory than others, the underlying premise remains the same - and
    Roberts is old enough to know that the truth can sometimes hurt. Using
    anti-terrorism as the impetus to further legitimize ICANN's self-perceived
    importance to the world is ludicrous, and further demonstrates the
    immaturity of its corporate philosophy and self-serving groupthink. As
    mentioned above, comments like these lead many of us believe Roberts is
    angling for elected or appointed political office somewhere, using his
    involvement with ICANN as a personalized bully pulpit.

    Mister Roberts admittedly reads Thomas Friedman's column in the New York
    Times. He must have overlooked Friedman's October 19th observation on
    America's new adversaries. "Because this new system [of terror] is an
    incredible force-multiplier, it can super-empower evil people so they can
    destabilize a superpower."

    Replace "of terror" with "net administration" and you've got ICANN. At least
    according to Roberts.