FC: ICANN replies to Politech post about anti-terrorist Net-cop

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 11:33:35 PST

    *********

    From: "Andrew McLaughlin" <mclaughlinat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: RE: ICANN to be anti-terrorist Net-cop? and a response from R.  Forno
    Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:15:06 -0500

    Declan:

    This screed is so deeply clueless, it's probably not worth responding.  But
    [sigh!]:

        - ICANN has a very well-defined mission:  it coordinates the Internet's
    naming & address allocation systems.  It doesn't set technical standards;
    it's not responsible for general Internet security.  ICANN's not confused
    about the scope of its mission;  if anything, we're constantly working to
    narrow the scope of our work, distribute responsibility and authority down
    the DNS tree, and swat away efforts to add new responsibilities.  ICANN
    supporters do *not* favor expansion of its mission;  indeed, we often say
    that ICANN will only survive if it stays tightly focused on the coordination
    of unique identifiers, period.  Consistent with that, our budget is fixed;
    our staff is small (~16).  In no way is ICANN, as Mr. Forno states, "the
    Internet's governing body."  To even suggest that shows a basic
    misunderstanding of how the Internet works, and what the DNS does.
        - Within the DNS, there are many organizations that provide services:
    the DNS root nameserver operators, the TLD registries, the registrars, and
    the regional Internet registries.  While none of these organizations
    constitutes a single point of failure in the DNS, each is potentially a
    single point of failure for its users/customers.  I.e., if a given TLD
    fails, its registrants will be harmed.  It's reasonable for Internet users
    to wonder about the security/integrity/resiliency of those operations.
        - Therefore, it is a matter of ICANN concern to see that the DNS
    registries, registrars, root nameservers operators, etc., is doing all it
    should to assure the security of its operations, the integrity of its data,
    and the restoration of service in crisis situations.  That's what the
    November ICANN meeting is about:  a bottom-up discussion among those various
    groups about their own security practices and policies.

    In sum:  Mr. Forno doesn't seem to understand how the DNS is implemented and
    administered, and he certainly doesn't understand what ICANN does or how it
    does it.  ICANN is a coordinator, not a dictator.  It's not part of any
    "war" on anything.  It's a forum in which the organizations that provide DNS
    services will be discussing as a community potential security threats and
    vulnerabilities;  available technical tools and management practices to
    avoid and combat them;  and best practices for recovery and restoration of
    service.

    What Mike Roberts reasonably pointed out is that, in the wake of 9/11,
    assuring the security/integrity/resiliency of the DNS has taken on vastly
    greater importance.

    --andrew

    *********