FC: Filtering software fans complain that -- they're being filtered!

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 10:09:45 PST

    [There seems to be little interesting to say about filtering software
    and ratings anymore -- it's an old and a tired, debate. But a
    censorware proponent complaining about being, well, censored does seem
    a bit much. --Declan]

    http://www.safesurf.com/press/press27.htm

       SafeSurf Press Release
       1304 Newbury Road, Unit E, Newbury Park, CA 91320
       E-mail: safesurfat_private * Web Site: http://www.safesurf.com/
       FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
       October 25, 2001
       Contact : Ray Soular
       Press Phone : (818) 613-1415

                        SafeSurf Warns of Stealth Censorship

             Los Angeles, CA - Thousands of family friendly Web sites, for no
       fault of their own, are being rendered inaccessible by "stealth
       censorship" and it may be putting people's lives at risk, warned
       SafeSurf, the online safety organization.
             This new type of censorship, promoted by a California
       corporation called Mail Abuse Prevention System, LLC (MAPS), silences
       every Web site whose address is located on a server that also happens
       to host one or two unrelated email marketing sites. However, since the
       browser message displayed says that the Web sites are non-existent,
       online surfers have no idea they are being denied access to many parts
       of the Internet.
             "This is stealth censorship*", remarked SafeSurf Chairman Ray
       Soular as he described how Web site owners have no rights under this
       system. "Mail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS) publicizes its Realtime
       Blackhole List (RBL) as being only of certified email abusers
       (spammers).  It provides this list to Internet Service Providers (ISP)
       who rely on its accuracy when shutting out these spammers.  In
       reality, MAPS' practice of listing entire groups of IP numbers,
       instead of the specific addresses of the spammers, is causing ISPs to
       shut off access to sites that have done no wrong other than they have
       similar IP numbers to the spammers.  Its like shutting off phone
       service to thousands of people simply because they have the same
       prefix as an obscene caller," explained Soular.
             "To make matters worse, MAPS has no idea of what content it may
       be blocking. Imagine trying to connect to a crisis assistance site
       after a devastating earthquake, only to find its among a vast IP group
       being blocked by RBL. People can die as the result of their blind
       imprecision. They MUST be regulated," Soular reasoned.
             Teleglobe, a global Internet provider who subscribes to the
       MAPS' Realtime Blackhole List (RBL), was blocking SafeSurf in many
       countries, simply because SafeSurf's Web site was on a public server
       owned by an hosting company once accused of providing services to
       email marketers.
             (News Flash Oct 29, 2001: MAPS removed SafeSurf from its
       Blackhole list and Teleglobe removed blocking.)
             "Under their system, an unsuspecting Web site can become a RBL
       hostage at any time, for any reason, and without appeal. Unless the
       owner of the server meets MAPS demands, the innocent hostage site will
       be left to rot in the 'Blackhole'," pointed out Soular. "This is the
       worst manifestation of censorship imaginable because it is applied in
       a way which fools Web surfers into thinking they still have their
       freedom", said Soular.

                                        ###

             Below is the text of SafeSurf's Open Letter to the Internet
       Community concerning MAPS' Realtime Blackhole List (RBL) that targets
       general IP groups instead of specific IP addresses.

       SafeSurf was recently alerted that we were marked for blocking, for no
       fault of our own, by Mail Abuse Prevention System's Realtime Blackhole
       List (RBL). SafeSurf has never sent out a single piece of junk email
       in the life of our company. Parents and Webmasters depend upon
       communication from SafeSurf to enable them to protect children on the
       Internet. As a result, by blocking SafeSurf, MAPS is endangering
       millions of children across the globe.
       MAPS' RBL blocking is censorship in its worst manifestation. It is a
       extremist system that seeks to censor people simply because they
       happen to be with the same ISP that has a particular individual that
       MAPS does not like. Their tactics would be similar to someone using a
       nuclear weapon to wipe out a cockroach.
       Although they may contact the ISP, MAPS makes no effort, whatsoever,
       to warn the people actually being censored. The innocent Web Sites
       have to depend on others to discover that their right to free speech
       has been desecrated. MAPS actions demonstrate what SafeSurf has long
       suspected; true censorship arises for the purpose of advancing the
       agenda of a particular group of individuals. Censorship is a broad
       brush that drips paint on the pure, as well as the tainted.
       MAPS may claim that their actions are in the interest of good, but in
       reality they would easily trade in the good of children to achieve
       their goal. They have more than proved this point by holding the
       SafeSurf Web Site hostage until they force the acquiescence of others.
       MAPS has no idea of what content it may be blocking. Therefore, they
       could negligently block sites that contain important life saving
       medical information, sites that protect children, and sites that
       output emergency info during tornado watches, fire and flood alerts.
       Imagine trying to connect to a crisis assistance site after a
       devastating earthquake, only to find its among a vast IP group being
       blocked by RBL. People can die as the result of their blind
       imprecision. They MUST be regulated.
       We hate spam as much as anyone else. SafeSurf receives hundreds of
       spam emails every day. However, we cherish our civil liberties too
       much to ever trade them to the careless people who are running MAPS.
       We have tried to reason with MAPS, but they refuse to offer affected
       Web sites a case-by-case appeal process. They seem to not care about
       fairness. They are blinded by the smell of spammer's blood and do not
       seem to care how many innocent Web sites they trounce in the process.
       Then, they rationalize and try to put the blame for their wanton
       actions on everyone else.
       This issue is completely different from the debate over porn
       filtering, because in that debate, at least it was agreed that the
       sites we were discussing were responsible for their acts. In this
       case, MAPS employs an underhanded tactic of targeting the innocent in
       order to persuade the guilty.
       We must insist that MAPS operate in a responsible manner. A just cause
       is no excuse for unjust actions. By accepting MAPS, we are, in effect,
       agreeing to full censorship of anyone, for any reason. This is beyond
       the worst-case scenarios we could've imagined coming from governments.
       MAPS may be on a crusade to rid the Internet of spam, but this should
       not give them the authority to deny freedoms to the blameless. It
       should not give them the power to shroud someone's brilliance simply
       because it happens to be on a MAPS targeted ISP. It should not give
       them the right to make a mockery of the pillars upon which America was
       built.
       I feel sorry for all the subscribers to Teleglobe, which trusts MAPS'
       RBL list. They have traded access to the truth in exchange for a
       cleaner mailbox. The really sad part is they don't even know it.
       We must raise our voices to warn the online world of stealth
       censorship. For in the end, we will either loudly hold on to our
       liberty or it will become clear that we gave up our rights by our
       silence.
       Sincerely,
       Ray Soular, Chairman
       SafeSurf
       * The term, stealth blocking, was first used by Bennett Haselton in
       "The Coalition Statement Against Stealth Blocking" to be found at
       http://www.peacefire.org/.