FC: Senate may vote soon on extending Internet tax moratorium

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 10:09:57 PST

    Sen. Enzi's bill:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:s.01567:

    See also:
    http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171673.html

    ********

    Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 13:03:18 -0500
    From: Bob Cohen <bcohenat_private>
    To: declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: FYI Press Release:  ITAA Calls Internet Tax Bill Frightful

                         ITAA Calls Internet Tax Bill Frightful

    Arlington, VA, October 31, 2001 The Information Technology Association of
    America (ITAA) today called S. 1567, an Internet tax bill introduced by
    Senator Michael Enzi (R-WY), all trick and no treat for millions of
    Internet customers.

    ITAA has long supported state sales tax simplification, said ITAA
    President Harris N. Miller, but the U.S. Supreme Court has concluded that
    state sales and use tax systems are currently so complicated as to be
    considered an impermissible burden on remote vendors selling in
    interstate commerce.  Simplification must be both real and substantial.
    Senator Enzi s legislation goes the other way.

    In a letter to members of the U.S. Senate, ITAA said S. 1567 would:

    ·        Make collection and administration of transactions taxes more
    complex

    ·        Favor wireless over wireline Internet access

    ·        Creates competitive disadvantages for vendors with nexus in a
    state

    ·        Utilizes a flawed definition of weighted averages for
    calculating one tax rate per state and allows states to modify the system
    s uniform rules

    ·        Fails to provide channel neutrality in dealing with store versus
    remote sales

    This proposal has never been subjected to Congressional hearings or
    extensive public dialogue, Miller said.  S. 1567 raises difficult and
    complicated issues, not addressed by the House in its own Internet tax
    moratorium legislation.  Let s not do something in haste that may come
    back to haunt the U.S. economy.

    The Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) provides global
    public policy, business networking, and national leadership to promote
    the continued rapid growth of the IT industry. ITAA consists of over 500
    corporate members throughout the U.S., and a global network of 41
    countries' IT associations. The Association plays the leading role in
    issues of IT industry concern including information security, taxes and
    finance policy, digital intellectual property protection,
    telecommunications competition, workforce and education, immigration,
    online privacy and consumer protection, government IT procurement, human
    resources and e-commerce policy. ITAA members range from the smallest IT
    start-ups to industry leaders in the Internet, software, IT services,
    ASP, digital content, systems integration, telecommunications, and
    enterprise solution fields.  For more information visit www.itaa.org.

    *********

    Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 12:27:56 -0500
    From: "Diamond, Richard" <Richard.Diamondat_private>

    Richard Diamond
    Office of the Majority Leader
    US House of Representatives
    202-225-6007 / www.freedom.gov

    Does the Senate Want to Tax the Internet?

            House Majority Leader Dick Armey today urged Senate Majority
    Leader Tom Daschle to take up and pass legislation to extend the Internet
    Tax moratorium.

            "The moratorium has expired, and it's time for the Senate to
    act," said Armey.  "The Senate should immediately take up and pass the
    two-year extension passed by the House."

            The Internet Tax moratorium, a ban on multiple and discriminatory
    Internet taxes and access charges, expired on October 21, 2001.  The
    House has already passed H.R. 1552, a bill to extend the moratorium for
    two years.

            "I strongly support a permanent ban on discriminatory Internet
    taxes," said Armey.  "But the House bill already marks a significant
    compromise.  We will not consider anything less than the clean, two-year
    extension we passed. "

            "If the Senate continues to refuse to take up and pass the House
    bill as-is, the conclusion is obvious," said Armey.  "The Senate wants to
    tax the Internet."

    ********