FC: European Parliament plans vote Nov. 13 to ban cookies

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 10:31:37 PST

    [Let me get this right: Instead of encouraging users to disable
    cookies, or suggesting browsers like Opera that offer excellent ways
    to fine-tune cookie use, a Eurocrat (W.G. van Velzen) wants to try to
    ban 'em. Doesn't matter how many jobs will be lost in the
    already-beleagured online advertising industry, van Velzen insists,
    because some nebulous "privacy right" demands it. Perhaps there's a
    bright side to this nonsense: European entrepreneuers may choose to
    move to the more hospitable business climate of the U.S., and European
    citizens, realizing that websites all over the rest of the world still
    use cookies, will recognize how nutty and anti-free enterprise their
    politicians really are. --Declan]

       Europe Goes After the Cookie
       Reuters
       6:20 a.m. Oct. 31, 2001 PST

       LONDON -- The "cookie," a simplistic identification tag that most
       Internet users unknowingly carry when surfing the Web, runs the risk
       of being outlawed under a proposed privacy directive from the European
       Commission.

       The legislation has triggered concern in Europe's Internet advertising
       community. The Interactive Advertising Bureau UK (IAB) said British
       companies could lose 187 million pounds ($272.1 million) if the
       directive is ratified.

       "Cookies have been branded as spyware tools, or some kind of
       subversive software," Danny Meadows-Klue, chairman of the IAB United
       Kingdom, told Reuters. "But it's what we use everyday."

       The IAB has marshaled support from its members across Europe to launch
       a lobbying effort it calls "Save our Cookies."

       [...]