FC: Top cop-turned-jewel-thief used police databases to plot crimes

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 07:27:44 PST

    [Forwarded from cyberia. Anyone want to suggest a revision to the
    sentencing guidelines? +9 for police using police databases to plot
    crimes... --DBM]

    ---

    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/26/national/26THEF.html
    >CHICAGO, Oct. 25 — A former chief of detectives in the Chicago Police
    >Department pleaded guilty today in Federal District Court to charges of
    >running a sophisticated jewel-theft ring across several states for more
    >than a decade. William A. Hanhardt, 72, who by some accounts was once a
    >debonair top officer widely known for fighting crime, could face up to 25
    >years in prison, although he will probably be sentenced to up to 12 years
    >under federal guidelines. The detective, whose career with the Chicago
    >Police Department spanned 33 years, appeared in court today wearing an
    >orange prison jumpsuit.

    ---

    From: Sean Donelan <seanat_private>
    Subject:      Watching the watchers
    Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:06:08 -0500

    A former chief of detectives in the Chicago Police Department pleaded
    guilty today in Federal District Court to charges of running a
    sophisticated jewel-theft ring across several states for more than a
    decade.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/26/national/26THEF.html

    How did the detective find the people to rob?  He used law enforcement
    computers and databases to get information about traveling jewelry
    sales people.  Apparently he had access to car rental information.
    I don't know if rental car companies regularly provide information
    about renters to police, or if this level of information sharing
    is unique to jewelry sales representatives.