FC: Text of revised Microsoft antitrust settlement

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 06:49:23 PST

    I've put it online here:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/ms.revised.final.judgment.110601.pdf
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/ms.revised.stipulation.110601.pdf

    Earlier draft of settlement:
    http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f9400/9462.htm

    And you can forget any more talk of a breakup or structural changes:

    http://www.wired.com/news/antitrust/0,1551,48198,00.html
    >One punishment that's apparently no longer being considered is a breakup
    >or even a forcible reorganization of the world's most famous antitrust
    >defendant. That's what now-deposed U.S. District Judge Thomas Penfield
    >Jackson had imposed last year.
    >"No, I don't think so," [Iowa AG Tom] Miller said when asked whether the
    >remaining states would recommend any kind of structural remedy.

    Photos from Tuesday:
    http://www.mccullagh.org/theme/microsoft-states-settle-nov01.html

    -Declan

    -----------------------------------
    STATEMENT OF IOWA ATTORNEY GENERAL TOM MILLER
    Tuesday, November 6, 2001

    The Microsoft plaintiff States reported to Judge Kollar-Kotelly this
    afternoon, and I informed the Judge that Iowa cannot join in the settlement
    today.  We have worked around the clock for many days.  Now I literally will
    go home to Iowa and sleep on it, and give it the deliberation it still
    deserves.  I don't rule out the possibility of settling with Microsoft, but I
    want to be sure the settlement actually accomplishes what we hope it
    accomplishes.  We made remarkable progress in recent days toward a
    settlement that protects consumers and fair competition.  My reservation is
    whether the settlement document itself faithfully and accurately executes
    the settlement principles to which we agreed. We have worked on this case
    for years and spent countless hours in
    painstaking negotiation.  We will live with any settlement for years, so I
    will spend several more days reviewing it.  That is what is best for Iowa
    consumers, for Iowa businesses and for fair competition.  The details of
    this settlement will go a long way toward shaping the future of personal
    computing and determining whether consumers enjoy the fruits of unfettered
    competition and innovation in everything from photos to music, messaging to
    commerce, and moving through the Internet. The States have undertaken an
    extraordinary and intense process of
    examining the documents, consulting among one another, and negotiating with
    Microsoft with the aid of the mediator.  I commend my Attorney General
    colleagues and their staff members for sustaining superior effort and superb
    collegiality and respect for one another.
    # # #