FC: "Sucks" domain name must be awarded to company, WIPO panel says

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 23:14:58 PST

    This is an amazingly awful decision. It says that because non-English
    speakers might be confused by the "sucks" suffix on
    VIVENDIUNIVERSALSUCKS.COM, the domain name must be turned over to the
    company it criticizes:

    http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-1121.html
    >the Panel has found that non-English speaking Internet users would be
    >likely to attach no significance to the appended word 'sucks' and would
    >therefore regard the disputed domain name as conveying an association with
    >the Complainant

    The WIPO panel goes so far as to insist that because the band Primus owns
    the domain name primussucks.com (named after their 1990 album "Suck on
    This"), prospective visitors to vivendi.com might get confused about who's who.