FC: California sells birth records of its citizens

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 06:59:32 PST

    From: "Jeff Mazzella" <jmazzellaat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Califronia Selling Birth Records of their citizens
    Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 10:30:30 -0500

    Declan,

    <http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/local/docs/privacy29.htm>http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/local/docs/privacy29.htm

    I thought the politechbot readers would be interested in an article
    (attached above) that was published in the San Jose Mercury
    News.  Apparently the state of California is in the business of selling
    their citizens' birth records (in this case to an online genealogy company
    that posted the information on the web).  Access to such personal
    information, including a person's place of birth and mother's maiden name,
    could potentially be used by criminals to obtain false
    identities.  Furthermore, such info could potentially be used to access
    someone's bank account or medical information.  Pretty scary stuff.

    After taking some heat from several groups, the website that purchased the
    information (<http://www.rootsweb.com>www.rootsweb.com) removed the removed
    it form their site, and posted a statement on its homepage stating, it was
    "committed to protecting the privacy of our customers."

    I am curious to learn more about states selling such information.

    Thanks,
    Jeff