FC: Fred Heutte explains recent changes in privacy law, DMV data

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 21:06:34 PST

    "California sells birth records of its citizens"

    From: Fred Heutte <phredat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:32:46 GMT
    Subject: Re: FC: Responses to California sells birth records of its citizens

    I can tell from your correspondents that there is a great deal of
    misinformation or just lack of information.

    Since I deal with public data (voter files, mostly) for a living,
    let me provide some current context on motor vehicle and driver's
    license registration files.

    We used to routinely buy DMV files in order to add date-of-birth
    to fill in the gaps in voter registration data (which in turn is generally
    available only for political campaigns, and the penalties for using
    it for commercial purposes are substantial).

    The US Supreme Court in Reno v. Condon, January 12, 2000, unanimously
    upheld the Driver's Privacy Protection Act.  There was a very
    complicated legal and political fight over several years leading up
    to the decision that I won't go into much, starting with a South
    Carolina case.  Basically there were three positions: (1) a state's
    rights position, which was upheld by the Fourth Circuit when it
    overturned the DPPA as unconstitutional; (2) a right-to-know position,
    advanced by some newspapers and other media; and (3) a balancing
    approach as adopted in the DPPA, which the Supreme Court affirmed in
    reversing the court below.  On the specifics, the Court's decision was on
    the side of a strict interpretation of the privacy features of the DPPA.

    The outcome is that DMV files, particularly the "personal data" which
    depending on the state used to be provided for "research" and "marketing"
    purposes, are no longer available for other than very narrowly defined
    exceptions such as law enforcement, contractual matters (for example,
    repos), and so on.

    The conditions and costs of availability of DMV data used to vary
    quite a bit by state, but generally now we are finding it to be
    unavailable at all in the wake of the Supreme Court decision,
    especially following implementation of the "opt-in" requirement on
    application forms in June 2000.  Even before opt-in, more than 25%
    of drivers in states like Maryland had already opted out, greatly
    reducing the value of the data (when available) for purposes like our
    voter file updates.

    Fred

    http://www.ibrinc.com/dppa.html