FC: What were motives of Bible-quoting Corinthians.com owner?

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 08:36:20 PST

    This is a long-standing debate and I suspect people's minds are largely
    made up. But first-come-first-served always seemed to be a good rule of
    thumb to me, unless you're intentionally creating a site that's confusingly
    similar to that of a trademark owner. For instance, I registered
    shorten.com in 1997 or so (I was thinking of launching an info-locating
    site). Sometime in 1999 I had a less-than-pleasant conversation with a
    fellow who had created compression software called shorten and seemed to
    want the domain. Nothing ever happened, and eventually I let the
    registration lapse -- with the predictable result that it's now an
    links-to-naughty-p0rn site.

    So by the first-come-first-served test, while we might recognize that our
    Bible-quoting friend to be a recent convert to the merits of Holy Writ, his
    registration would not have been imperiled unless he created the "soccer
    info here" site or something similar.

    Background:

    "Bible-quoting Corinthians.com publisher replies to Politech"