FC: Bob Corn-Revere on anti-terrorism laws: Freedom vs. Fear

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 08:07:06 PST

    From: "Corn-Revere, Robert L." <CornRevereat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh (E-mail)" <declanat_private>
    Subject: Freedom v. Fear
    Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 10:36:24 -0500

    http://www5.law.com/lawcom/displayid.cfm?statename=DC&docnum=102784&table=news&flag=full

    ---

        By Robert Corn-Revere
        Legal Times

        The war against terrorism is a war to preserve freedom, we are told.
        The president explained that the terrorists "hate us for our freedoms
        -- our freedom of religion, our freedom of speech, our freedom to vote
        and assemble and disagree with each other."

        But even as he spoke, the Federal Bureau of Investigation was rounding
        up an undisclosed number of people for indeterminate periods of
        detention, and the attorney general has refused to release any
        substantive information on the practices. In defending these and other
        actions before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Dec. 6, Attorney
        General John Ashcroft claimed that those who ask whether we are
        sacrificing too much freedom "only aid terrorists, for they erode our
        national unity and diminish our resolve."

        If irony is not dead, it surely is on life support.

        In a two-week period in October, the Justice Department announced a
        policy authorizing the interception of attorney-client conversations
        with detainees, a program of profiling and interviewing thousands of
        Arab men, and the creation of secret military tribunals to try
        immigrants and other foreigners suspected of terrorism.

        More significant than these executive actions was Congress' passage of
        the anti-terrorism bill -- the USA Patriot Act -- signed by President
        George W. Bush on Oct. 26. While some parts of the act provided needed
        adjustments to the law, its far-reaching provisions affect the rights
        of all citizens, and not just terrorism suspects. For example, the act
        minimizes judicial supervision of telephone and Internet surveillance,
        expands the government's ability to conduct secret searches, and gives
        the attorney general and the secretary of state the power to designate
        domestic groups as "terrorist organizations." The law also gives the
        FBI broad access to sensitive medical, financial, mental health, and
        educational records about individuals without having to show evidence
        of a crime and without a court order.

        [...]