FC: Bernie Shifman, accused spammer, threatens to sue those who complain

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 07:58:39 PST

    I invite Bernard Shifman, the accused spammer, to reply to Politech.

    Here's what a previous accused spammer had to say:

    Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:03:06 -0500
    To: declanat_private
    From: Neil Schwartzman <neilat_private>
    Subject: Spamflames.com

    Dunno if you care or not - this may be a little off the mainstream - but ...

    I have a new domain devoted to cartoony threats, the most active thread
    logs the ferocious amount of verbiage being generated by a spammer who is
    threatening to sue just about everybody he comes in contact with. It is
    pretty funny, there are a bunch of us now in "legal trouble" (a bunch of
    the anti-spam gang, including the good people at samspade.org, spambag.net,
    and a Chicago-based "Mariachi grindcore" band called "The Culprits",
    complete with MP3's of the phonecalls from said spammer, Bernard Shifman.

    http://spamflames.com

    I know, I know, don't feed the trolls. I can't help it. I want to see a
    x-border suit brought against me for calling someone a spammer, or a moron.

    Heh.

    Here's the executive summary:
    ==
    Bernard Shifman, "Computer Consultant" spammed me in November 2001. I
    reported him, as I have done with the other 4,000 pieces of spam I have
    received since 1998, to his ISP, et al. Shifman then began his assault by
    sending me an obscenity-laden email. I'm not sure, but I think he wants to
    have sex with me. Psst! Bernie! I don't swing that way. Anyway, he then
    sent some murky legal threat, which was never followed up upon. Shifman
    sent the spam to an address <neilat_private> which has never been
    used for much of anything apart from POP; a google pretty much confirms it
    is most directly linked with my anti-spam activities. In fact, I use a
    number of other addresses for most online activities. He claims he only
    sent targeted email to the human resources addresses at companies that
    might hire him. I just checked, I don't actually own, nor work for
    Concordia University.

    Then, again, in December 2001, Shifman spammed the same account! At first,
    I was incredulous. I mean, after someone informs you they regard your email
    as spam, why send them more? Then, I complained. THEN I put up this page.
    Enjoy.

    --
    Neil Schwartzman
    Pete Moss Publications,