FC: Judge says secret key logger evidence is OK in Scarfo trial

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 07:50:50 PST

    My article on Judge Politan's decision:
    http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,49455,00.html

    The decision itself:
    http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/fed/html/scarfo2.html-1.html

    Politech archive on Scarfo case:
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=scarfo

    Jack is a criminal defense lawyer who works with the National Association
    of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

    Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:32:19 -0500
    From: Jack King <jns-jkingat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Stupid judicial keylogging decision

    The judge in the Nicky Scarfo, Jr., gambling case decided that the
    government's keystroke interception technology was too sensitive to be made
    public.

    I'm attaching a link to a letter rejected by the Washington Post last
    August after the judge agreed to hear evidence on the technology -- without
    the defendant or his lawyers present, what's called an "in camera proffer."

    http://www.crimelynx.com/kingcomment.html

    I may have a technical fact or two screwed-up, but this stuff isn't
    "secret" as readers of PoliTech know.

    Yrs., etc,

    -- Jack
      Jack King
      gjkat_private
      jns-jkingat_private
      "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachments
       by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."

                               --Justice Louis Brandeis
                               Olmstead v. United States (1928) (dissent)