FC: Judge says secret key logger evidence is OK in Scarfo trial

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 07:50:50 PST

    My article on Judge Politan's decision:
    The decision itself:
    Politech archive on Scarfo case:
    Jack is a criminal defense lawyer who works with the National Association
    of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
    Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:32:19 -0500
    From: Jack King <jns-jkingat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Stupid judicial keylogging decision
    The judge in the Nicky Scarfo, Jr., gambling case decided that the
    government's keystroke interception technology was too sensitive to be made
    I'm attaching a link to a letter rejected by the Washington Post last
    August after the judge agreed to hear evidence on the technology -- without
    the defendant or his lawyers present, what's called an "in camera proffer."
    I may have a technical fact or two screwed-up, but this stuff isn't
    "secret" as readers of PoliTech know.
    Yrs., etc,
    -- Jack
      Jack King
      "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachments
       by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."
                               --Justice Louis Brandeis
                               Olmstead v. United States (1928) (dissent)