FC: Nathan Cochrane on Japanese vs. Chinese DVD players, region coding

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 13:20:55 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:04:58 +1100
    From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochraneat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Japanese firms mull patent challenge to cheap Chinese DVD
        players

    Hi Declan

    Having used (and reviewed) just about every DVD player on the Australian
    market, I'd say the reason why the Chinese are winning the marketing
    game is because their DVD players are just better than the Japanese units.

    The Apex is a marvel of technology, plays just about every 5.25-inch
    silver disc format ever created and is eminently hackable. The Japanese
    players have fewer features that people want, are overpriced, and most
    importantly, are crippled by the oligopolistic film industry's insane
    region coding format.

    If the Japs want to get back in the race, compete in the market and
    produce quality products for a good price that people want.

    And get rid of region coding.