FC: John Ashcroft, nude breasts, and the DOJ's new prudishness

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 14:43:55 PST

    [Can anyone point to a pre-drape photo? I'll take a post-drape photo after
    I get back. --Declan]

    http://nytimes.com/reuters/politics/politics-life-statues.html
    [...]
    Justice Department spokeswoman Barbara Comstock said the decision to
    install the curtains was made by Attorney General John Ashcroft's aide who
    handles advance work. ``It was done for TV aesthetics,'' she said.
    [...]

    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/HallsOfJustice/hallsofjustice.htm
    Draping History
    Halls of Justice: A Weekly Look
    Inside the Justice Department
    ABCNews.com
    January 25, 2002
    By Beverley Lumpkin
    W A S H I N G T O N, Jan. 25 - About three weeks ago, I received a
    tip. The attorney general was fed up with having his picture taken during
    events in the Great Hall in front of semi-nude statues. He had ordered
    massive draperies to conceal the offending figures. But initially not only
    could the story not be confirmed - it was strongly denied. [...]