FC: Oakland Cannabis Buyer's Club puts U.S. commerce clause on trial

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2002 - 11:08:24 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:49:05 -0800
    From: Steve Schear <schearat_private>
    To: Declan/Politech <declanat_private>
    Subject: The Commerce Clause on trial

    Forwarded from a private email (with some minor edits)...

    >The real crux of the problem is the almost unlimited (and I
    >believe  unconstitutional) authority granted the feds in Wickard v.
    >Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), when Congress and the Prez threatened to
    >expand the bench and pack it after the SC blocked law after law as
    >exceeding their authority. Unless and until these rulings are overturned
    >we'll continue to bang our heads against a wall of tyranny.

    The Oakland Cannabis Buyer's Club case is squarely confronting
    Wickard.  See:  http://www.druglibrary.org/ocbc/ and examine the
    "Defendants Motion after Remand to Dissolve or Modify Preliminary
    Injunction Order and Memorandum of Points and Authorities in Support
    thereof - January 7, 2002 - (2.7MB)"

    We have a case where every level of government -- city, county, and state
    -- is opposed to the Federal policy, and is now contesting the policy on
    solid federal jurisdictional grounds, rather than on the flimsy "indirect
    medical necessity" grounds they tried last time. And the feds are very
    wrong, and the locals are very right, and public opinion supports the
    locals. This doesn't happen too often.

    steve