FC: The case for a "trusted sender" program to stamp out spam

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 02:12:14 PST

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:46:16 -0500
    From: Neil Schwartzman <neilat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Why a Trusted Sender Program benefits all E-Mail Constituencies

    Declan,

    Thought you might be interested in this take on the new TRUSTe
    anti-spam initiative.

    Ted is, as his site says, "... an advocate for the responsible use of
    e-mail, Ted Gavin is the primary author of RFC-3098, "How to
    Advertise Responsibly Using Internet E-Mail and Newsgroups - or, How
    NOT To 'Make Enemies Fast!", a document produced by the Internet
    Engineering Task Force and published in April 2001. He is an Officer
    and Director of the SpamCon Foundation, a California Non-Profit
    organization dedicated to the preservation of e-mail as a viable
    communication medium. He is also an Advocate Member of the Trusted
    Sender Advisory Board."

    Why a Trusted Sender Program benefits all E-Mail Constituencies
    http://member.newsguy.com/~tedgavin/html/to_what_benefit.htm

    BTW: I was just appointed pro tem Chair of CAUCE.ca - if any of your
    Canadian readers are interested in getting involved in the
    legislative fight VS spam, please have 'em head over to
    http://cauce.ca and get signed up for our discussion list. I expect
    we will have an easier time of it up here than you folks have had
    with the DMA leading congress critters by the nose, but perhaps I am
    being overly optimistic. Anyway - we need grassroots help and support
    - all are invited to the dance.

    best regards,
    --
    Neil Schwartzman
    Pete Moss Publications,

    "They misunderestimated me."-Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000