FC: Washington DC erects surveillance cam network; EPIC FOIA request

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 13:17:09 PST

    Politech facecam archive (note DC is not using face recognition technology
    yet, but this may be relevant):
    http://www.politechbot.com/cgi-bin/politech.cgi?name=facecam

    Xeni Jardin sends along this Reuters article summarizing the WSJ story:
    http://www.reuters.com/news_article.jhtml?type=topnews&StoryID=593227

    http://www.msnbc.com/news/706224.asp?newguid=8ED0D771033344BDB2187658775AC770&cp1=1

        D.C. cops build surveillance network
        New system will link hundreds of public cameras
        By Jess Bravin
        THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

            WASHINGTON, Feb. 13 --  A camera mounted on the roof of police
        headquarters here peers down at pedestrians approaching the steps of
        the Capitol half a mile away. Then it zooms in on a couple who are
        climbing the stairs, unaware they are being watched. Inside
        headquarters, a huge digital image of the couple is displayed on
        floor-to-ceiling monitors in a darkened high-tech command center, the
        hub of what will soon be one of the nation's most extensive public
        surveillance networks.

               THE NEW SYSTEM will link hundreds of cameras that already
        monitor mass-transit stations, monuments and schools with new digital
        cameras that will be installed to watch over streets, shopping areas
        and neighborhoods.
               "In the context of Sept. 11, we have no choice but to accept
        greater use of this technology," says Stephen Gaffigan, who heads the
        Washington Metropolitan Police Department project. He says city
        officials have studied the pervasive public surveillance in Britain,
        where the government has placed more than two million cameras
        throughout the country in recent years. "We are intrigued by that
        model," Mr. Gaffigan says.
               Tuesday morning, in response to the latest terror alert issued
        by the Justice Department, Washington police activated the command
        center, which was first used on Sept. 11. Officers from a host of
        federal authorities, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation,
        Secret Service, Capitol Police and Amtrak Police, joined city officers
        in monitoring key buildings around Washington.
               The room will stay in operation until federal officials end the
        terror alert, Mr. Gaffigan says. The cameras have been programmed to
        scan public areas automatically, and officers can take over manual
        control if they see something they want to examine more closely. But
        right now, the system has no "biometric" software that will permit an
        automated match between a face in the crowd and a computerized photo
        of a suspect. "We're looking at that technology but have made no
        decisions" about how or whether to use it, Mr. Gaffigan says.

        [...]

    ---