FC: A defense of Comcast's recording web traffic of subscribers

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 16:46:24 PST

    Sequence of events:
    1. Word leaks out, first in mailing lists, then confirmed by Ted Bridis,
    that Comcast is recording user browsing data.
    2. Expected privacy fuss ensues, with Rep. Markey, always ready to pounce
    on suspected corporate miscreants, writing Comcast the traditional nastygram.
    3. Whoops! Turns out federal law says a cable operator "shall not use the
    cable system to collect personally identifiable information concerning any
    subscriber without the prior written or electronic consent of the
    subscriber concerned." (Let's hope that Comcast's lawyers did their
    homework when writing their privacy policy, otherwise might we see a class
    action lawsuit asking for statutory damages of $1,000 per user?)
    4. Comcast backs down.

    Call me a curmudgeon, but all this doesn't seem that terribly alarming --
    assuming Comcast is telling the truth when saying (a) data were retained
    for only a week, (b) their privacy policy permitted this, and (c) the info
    was used for performance purposes and not given to anyone else. Put another
    way, there are benefits to aggregating information on web use: It can help
    improve network performance and lower the cost of the service.

    So if Comcast's privacy policy permitted this, what's the big deal? Anyone
    looking for a more privacy-protective service (and the point about
    subpoenas for stored data is a good one) should have taken their business
    elsewhere. To Earthlink, for example, which seems to be offering just that.

    http://comcast.comcastonline.com/internetprivacypolicy.asp

        COMCAST STATEMENT ON INTERNET PRIVACY
        Philadelphia (February 13, 2002) - Comcast Cable Communications
        President Stephen B. Burke issued the following statement today
        regarding Internet privacy:
        "Comcast respects the privacy of all our subscribers and is committed
        to fully protect their rights. Comcast has not shared and will not
        share personal information about where our subscribers go on the Web,
        either for any internal purpose or with any outside party, except as
        required by law. Consistent with our subscriber agreement and our
        privacy policy, which every subscriber acknowledges before receiving
        our service, Comcast reviews information in aggregate form only for
        purposes of network performance management to ensure an optimal
        Internet network experience for our subscribers."
        "Since we launched our own Internet network six weeks ago in the wake
        of Excite@Home's bankruptcy, IP and URL information has been stored
        temporarily. This information has never been connected to individual
        subscribers and has been purged automatically to protect subscriber
        privacy. Beginning immediately, we will stop storing this individual
        customer information in order to completely reassure our customers
        that the privacy of their information is secure."

    ---

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5567-2002Feb13.html

        By Ted Bridis
        Associated Press Writer
        Wednesday, February 13, 2002; 2:14 PM

        WASHINGTON Comcast Corp., the nation's third-largest cable company,
        pledged Wednesday to immediately stop recording the Web browsing
        activities of each of its 1 million high-speed Internet subscribers.

        Comcast said in a statement that it will stop storing the information
        "in order to completely reassure our customers that the privacy of
        their information is secure." The Associated Press reported Tuesday
        that the company had started recording each customer's visit to a Web
        page as part of a technology overhaul to save money and speed up the
        network. [...]

    ---