FC: Replies to AOL again blocks Trillian instant messaging users

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 11:35:01 PST

    Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:41:58 -0500
    To: declanat_private
    From: Gregory Wright <gwrightat_private>
    Subject: Re: FC: AOL again blocks Trillian instant messaging users

    Good morning, Declan -

         I think the point that most people seem to miss here is that AOL's AIM and
    ICQ services are owned and operated by AOL, and as such they have the right
    to set the terms of use - and this includes not allowing non-AIM or non-ICQ
    clients to access their service. There are numerous reasons for such policies,
    including protecting their own network and servers (for which most AIM users
    pay NOTHING to use, I might add) from potential issues introduced by software
    outside of their control, and also whatever revenue they get from
    displaying the
    advertisements in the contact list or message window. This is not a question of
    anti-trust: consumers still have choices in IM services, as mentioned by B.K.,
    such as Yahoo!, MSN and others... and they are just as viable as AIM or ICQ.
    The solution here is simple - if you don't like the terms of service, don't
    use the
    service - nobody is putting a gun to your head to make you use AIM or ICQ. If
    you feel that strongly about it, convince your friends or associates to use a
    different service, don't just whine about a company doing what they are
    perfectly
    within their rights to do.

    --
    Gregory Wright (<gwrightat_private>)