FC: IEEE's Steven Cherry wants mandatory music licenses, hard drive tax

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 20:20:49 PST

    [Steven Cherry recommends that Congress "order some form of compulsory or
    blanket licensing for downloaded music." This has become a common refrain.
    But it sounds off-key to me. It presupposes that lobbyists with the ear of
    Congress or the Copyright Office will come up with a solution that will
    benefit the public more than a marketplace where people can contract
    freely. By treating all music equally, a blanket license may ignore
    differences in quality. More importantly, such licenses impose government
    "price controls" and restrict the freedom of the content owner to negotiate
    their own price for a license. I license my photos. If the Feds told me I
    could charge only $XXX when I think my photos are worth $XXX+$YYY, I'd be
    angry about the lost revenue. The folks at Cato have talked about this in a
    bit more detail here: http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-423es.html Also in
    the article, Cherry correctly says that the Feds currently tax blank CDs as
    a sop to music owners upset about piracy. But, amazingly, he suggests that
    the "tax could be extended to memory sticks, data CDs, even hard disks."
    Perhaps we could also tax blank paper because of those piracy-enabling
    photocopiers? --Declan]

    ---