FC: John Gilmore and others on Wisconsin's proposed pro-spycam law

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 07:13:45 PST

    "Wisconsin may ban disabling spycams -- except for hidden sexcams"

    To: mannat_private, declanat_private, gnuat_private
    Subject: FC: Wisconsin may ban disabling spycams
    Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 01:48:02 -0800
    From: John Gilmore <gnuat_private>

    Why do they want to pass the new law?  Because current law only makes
    it a crime to *damage* or *misappropriate* a camera.  If you merely
    put a piece of cardboard in front of it, or some duct tape over it, or
    unplug it, that isn't a crime today.  But tomorrow it could get you
    five years in prison.

    SHEEP, WAKE UP!  The police state is coming; it's already here if you
    act like the cops have all the rights and you have none.  Like all of
    you people being herded into the pens at all the airports, with nary a
    bleat.  The only real security is in the grave -- and the totalitarian
    control that the Bush team is hastily assembling, while you are silent,
    will assist your entry into that blissful state.

    The only useful part about this proposed law is that it should protect
    citizens who are using cameras to record the illegal activities of law
    enforcement officials.  Any cop who seizes, breaks, or disables a
    protester's camera would go to prison for five years -- assuming that
    any DA would indict any cop for everyday activities, which is a hollow
    fantasy 99.9% of the time.  If you publish this, the cops will make
    sure to write an exception into the law for themselves anyway.

    Note that the "intent" of the camera is what matters; if they put it
    into a bathroom "for security" then disabling it is a crime, while
    if they put it into a bathroom "to ogle you" then disabling it is
    legal (after they arrest you and try you for it).

    The 9/11 attack has certainly brought out all the scum of the earth,
    with their "put US in control of YOU" schemes to improve the world.
    you would think that while fighting against the Taliban's tight
    control of its populace, we wouldn't be imposing similar controls on
    our own population.  But the irony seems to be lost on the sheeple.

    	John

    ---