FC: European Commission considers mandatory digital rights management

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 09:23:13 PST

    As the U.S. Congress weighs mandatory digital rights management, the
    European Commission is also looking into the topic. A 43-page EC
    study of digital rights management gives a nod to fair use and privacy
    -- and then says DRM schemes are not only inevitable but a fabulous idea.

    A key excerpt from the study says the EC "should continue to encourage
    all players to develop operational, open and interoperable DRM
    solutions and to deploy them rapidly." (Apparently the EC has been
    funding such schemes for the last decade.)

    I've placed the EC study here in PDF form (thanks, Michael):
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/european.commission.drm.030202.pdf

    -Declan

    ----- Forwarded message from Michael Kleinhenz <kleinhenzat_private> -----