FC: Civ-libs ask Council of Europe about secret "Second Protocol"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 07:52:54 PST

    "Council of Europe drafts secret 'Second Protocol'"

    From: BSteinhardtat_private
    To: "Declan McCullagh \(E-mail\)" <declanat_private>
    Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:23:19 -0500

    Declan,

    Thirty-three cyberliberties and human rights groups from around the world
    sent a letter today to the Council of Europe about a second, secret protocol
    to the international Cybercrime treaty that is reportedly being considered.
    (Despite the name Council of "Europe," the US has signed the main Convention
    on Cybercrime.)

    This protocol as you reported apparently has something to do with "terrorist
    messages and the decoding thereof," and very little information has been
    forthcoming from the CoE about this mysterious protocol.

    Best,
    Barry Steinhardt