FC: Calif. gov Gray Davis wants his grinning mug on all state websites

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 21:00:51 PST

    [Submitted to Politech by a Republican Senate aide. --Declan]

    ---

    Putting a new face on Davis' Web links
    Gubernatorial foe calls mug mandate

    Tuesday, March 12, 2002

    Sacramento -- A day after last week's primary election, Gov. Gray Davis'
    administration issued a reminder to state agencies that his image is supposed
    to appear on every state of California Web site. Under a policy implemented a
    year ago, the governor's face is used to link all state Web sites to the
    governor's page and e-mail address. While the governor's office says the move
    is one in a series of steps to make a more consumer-friendly Web site,
    critics say the governor is using the site for campaign purposes. "They could
    have done this three years ago," said Jamie Fisfis, spokesman for GOP
    gubernatorial candidate Bill Simon. "It is obviously political, as is
    everything else Davis has done." Hilary McLean, a spokeswoman for the
    governor, said the campaign was not on anyone's mind. "It was just a simple
    note -- no one gave any thought to the election," she said. "This has to do
    with good government service." The state has more than 100 agencies and
    departments with Web pages. The e-mail from the governor's office said "the
    image of the governor must be placed on the home page of agency, department,
    board and commission Web sites." An unscientific survey of state Web sites by
    the Chronicle shows varying degrees of compliance. The Department of Motor
    Vehicles and all of the energy agencies have the governor's link. The Board
    of Pharmacy has the link, but no picture. The director of Davis' e-government
    initiative said the idea was to create a universal look and system so that
    people would find the state sites easy to use. "It used to be that you
    couldn't go from one state Web site to another," Arun Baheti said. "The most
    often asked question was how do I contact the governor." Baheti said Davis
    gets about 30,000 e-mails a month. But Fisfis said Davis was setting a new
    low with his gimmickry. "He has set the bar so low it is outrageous," he
    said. "We're becoming jaded by his antics." The governor's office cited many
    awards received for the redesign and said other states and countrys were
    traveling to California to see how they could duplicate the efforts. "We are
    not going to stop government services because there is an election, " McLean
    said. "We are going to keep doing our job and make government more accessable
    to the public." McLean and Baheti pointed to the example of Secretary of
    State Bill Jones' Web site, which prominently features a large picture of
    Simon's former rival. "I didn't hear Simon's people complaining about that,"
    McLean said. However, Fisfis sees the governor's site as an opportunity. "It
    goes to a list of all his failed leadership," he said. "We may just put a
    link on our Web site."

    -------
    The ConservativeInfo email list is a news/information list for
    conservatives and libertarians moderated by Steven Ertelt.