FC: Replies to "Raise fuel efficiency standards, kill Americans?"

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 21:10:30 PST

    "Raise fuel efficiency standards, kill Americans?"
    http://www.politechbot.com/p-03256.html

    Naturally I will forward a reply from the folks at Cato.

    -Declan

    **********

    From: Fred Heutte <phredat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:56:03 -0800
    Subject: Re: FC: Raise fuel efficiency standards, kill Americans?

    As you may know, Declan, the fuel efficiency/safety debate in the current
    Senate energy bill fight is not as one-sided as Cato would prefer to believe.
    There is credible evidence that raising CAFE standards would have *no*
    effect on safety, or possibly even improve it.

    In fact, the trends in auto safety and efficiency have been going in
    opposite directions over the last four decades, as noted in a paper
    by David Greene from Oak Ridge National Lab at a California vehicle
    efficiency workshop last September.  He presented a simple chart showing
    auto fleet fuel efficiency and fatalities from the late 1960s to now.
    In general, travel has become safer over that period, while fuel
    efficiency rose from 1975 to 1985 and has since stalled.  He concludes:

       From 1967-99, there is NO correlation between
       light-duty vehicle mpg and highway fatalities.
       ZERO, NONE.

    http://www.energy.ca.gov/fuels/petroleum_dependence/documents/AB2076_workshop/David_Greene.ppt

    Years of research and dozens of papers have shown that factors leading
    to increased collisions, injuries and fatalities have to do with
    vehicle weight *differentials* and driving speed *differentials*
    (particularly for highway driving).

    In that sense, the greater number of "light trucks" (SUVs in particular)
    has increased the probability and severity of crashes and injuries, as
    has reduced regulation of highway driving speeds.  When speed differentials
    on highways are 20 mph and greater -- as they are on virtually all major
    highways these days (at least ones that aren't in rush hour gridlock!) --
    this means greater potential for collisions.

    But the more important issue for the moment is vehicle weights.  Opponents
    of increasing CAFE fuel efficiency standards have used this issue in the
    most transparently slipshod way.  The National Academy of Sciences report
    on CAFE last year -- drafted by a lopsidedly industry-leaning panel and
    then revised *after* peer review when the auto makers complained that it
    still wasn't the result they wanted -- refers primarily to just *one*
    study out of literally dozens that have been done on the issue, and it
    mis-states the conclusions of that study.

    The Union of Concerned Scientists "Drilling in Detroit" report last summer
    concluded, on the other hand:

       Automakers can utilize a variety of design and technology
       options for reducing fuel consumption. The only one that could
       have a significant impact on occupant safety during a crash,
       however, is vehicle weight reduction. The auto industry has
       argued that weight reduction compromises safety and that public
       policy should not encourage further fuel economy improvements,
       since they would lead to vehicle weight reduction (as they did
       in the period from 1977 through 1985).

       Contrary to this assumption, the relationship between safety
       and the weights of vehicles in the fleet is neither direct nor
       obvious. The factors that affect public safety on the road are
       so many and varied that actual road casualties can be only
       generally predicted. In particular, the concern over the safety
       of weight reduction is driven by the poor safety performance of
       the lighter vehicles in the fleet. This performance is
       misleading since it is partly due to two factors: (1) the
       lightest vehicles in the fleet tend to be the least expensive
       and thus incorporate the fewest safety advances, and (2)
       lighter vehicles tend to be driven by younger, more aggressive
       drivers.

       Vehicle weight reduction is a reasonable strategy for fuel
       economy improvements if it is applied most aggressively to the
       SUVs, minivans, and pickup trucks used as private passenger
       vehicles. In addition, these weight reductions can be applied
       in combination with obvious and inexpensive safety
       improvements.

       Principles of elementary physics imply that in a two-vehicle
       collision, a heavier vehicle should be safer than a lighter
       one. In practice, however, that is not necessarily always the
       case. In a two vehicle crash, for example, if the heavier
       vehicle is struck in the side by the front of a lighter
       vehicle, the occupants of the heavier vehicle may be more at
       risk. Estimates show that a 10 percent reduction in vehicle
       weight could result in a 3 to 7 percent increase in fuel economy
       (NRC 1992; OTA 1991).

    http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/drill_detroit.pdf

    David Greene of ORNL had a parallel view in his workshop report:

       The majority view on fuel economy and safety is based on two fallacies.

       1. Because I am safer in a heavier car, everyone
          would be safer if all cars were heavier.

          From a societal perspective, there is a "larger
          vehicle" externality.

       2. Existing studies adequately account for
          spurious correlations with driver and
          environmental characteristics.

          The more carefully one controls confounding
          factors, the more the "weight effect" fades away,
          or even reverses.

    http://www.energy.ca.gov/fuels/petroleum_dependence/documents/AB2076_workshop/David_Greene.ppt

    Ann Mesnikoff of the Sierra Club testified to the Senate last December
    and pointed out that an overlooked factor is that SUVs are inherently
    less safe than other passenger vehicles due to rollover and other
    problems:

       The current system of separate standards for cars and trucks,
       which has allowed manufacturers to move heavily into SUV
       production, compromises traffic safety. Light trucks pose
       safety dangers to their owners and occupants. SUVs are four
       times more likely to roll over in an accident. Rollovers
       account for 62% of SUV deaths, but only 22% in cars. Yet
       automakers fought new standards protecting occupants in
       rollover accidents. According to a study by the National Crash
       Analysis Center, an organization funded by both the government
       and the auto industry, occupants of an SUV are just as likely
       as occupants of a car to die once the vehicle is involved in an
       accident. This is in part because of their higher rollover
       rates.

    http://www.senate.gov/~commerce/hearings/120601Mesnikoff.pdf

    When Andrew Card, now chief of staff in the Bush White House, was
    a newly minted executive at General Motors fresh from his stint running
    the American Automobile Manufacturers Association (AAMA), he gave
    a speech to an aluminum industry gathering where he claimed
    that the auto industry could do better on fuel efficiency and safety
    than government regulation.

    The fact of the matter is, this simply isn't so.  The auto industry
    started improving fuel efficiency when CAFE went into effect in the
    1970s, and stopped when CAFE stopped going up, and spent a great deal
    of effort in the 1990s to prevent it from rising from current levels.
    Aggregate fleet efficiency for the 2001 model year was LESS THAN that
    of the 1981 fleet.  It is incredible to think that with all the
    advances in auto technology during the last 20 years, somehow they
    just couldn't come up with anything for getting better gas mileage.

    Likewise, safety has improved only when the car manufacturers have
    been pushed by legislation and regulation.

    The question of whether increased CAFE standards would have an effect
    on safety is certainly a mandatory one to address.  But there is no
    question that the answers have been totally politicized, and that the
    real science and economics around this issue have been obscured by
    political handwaving.

    We *should* want both increased fuel efficiency and more safety.  There
    are tradeoffs, as Senator Levin said in his floor speech in the Senate
    today, but his further implication that this is a zero-sum game is
    simply incorrect.  We can find a way to do both, and the best guide
    is our own history between 1975 and 1985, when fuel efficiency and
    safety *both* significantly improved.

    Fred
    Energy Coordinator
    Oregon Sierra Club