FC: ICANN has voted to eliminate public elections --Karl Auerbach

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 11:00:50 PST

    The folks at icannwatch have written a far more accurate summary of
    what actually happened in Ghana than the confusing, incomprehensible
    press release (http://www.politechbot.com/p-03264.html) would have you
    believe.

    http://www.icannwatch.org/article.php?sid=607&mode=thread&order=0
    >The Board thus rejected the key recommendation of its blue-ribbon At
    >Large Study Committee.  It indicated that while it "appreciated" the
    >committee's work, the committee's minimalist call for a limited,
    >scaled-back version of elections was still, well, uacceptable.

    This is important stuff, folks. Karl sent us the following too.

    Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:18:06 -0800 (PST)
    From: Karl Auerbach <karlat_private>

    What kind of NewSpeak Orwellian world was the attached written in?

    This morning ICANN killed the concept of public participation in ICANN and
    established in its stead a paternalistic oligarchy.  The Internet will now
    be run by a body that adheres to principles that otherwise died with the
    era of Queeen Victoria and King Leopold.

    My board seat, and those of the other four elected board members will
    simply vaporize this fall, with no replacements, no elections ... no
    nothing.  ICANN will be reduced a body run by those who have today
    proclaimed themselves to be our self-designated "betters", who know better
    than we do what is best for you and me.

    The Board's action eliminates the at-large, it does not establish it.
    The faux at-large that the board resolution calls for are nothing but
    external clubs that have no role in ICANN and play no role in the chosing
    of the Board of Directors or play any role in the development of Internet
    policy.  The use of the name "at-large" is purely a fig leaf to cover a
    policy that is naked of even the slightest hint of democracy.

    For the ICANN's At-Large Study Committee (ALSC) to say that the
    eviceration of their work amounts to an endorsement of their work is
    truely an exercise in advanced self deception.

    		--karl--

    ---