FC: Liberty vs. security events: PPI on 3/15 and George Mason IHS 7/5

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 08:20:45 PST

    [I recommend the George Mason IHS programs. I have lectured to their summer
    programs before at their Arlington campus. --Declan]

    ---

    From: "Damon Chetson" <dchetsonat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>
    Subject: Seminar: Liberty & Crisis
    Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:41:57 -0500

    Declan,

    Since your list has included stories relating to post-9/11 civil liberties,
    I thought I'd mention to your readers that the Institute for Humane Studies
    is hosting a weekend seminar this summer July 5-7 (Thursday - Sunday) at
    Bryn Mawr College just outside of Philadelphia called:

    Liberty and Crisis
    at
    Bryn Mawr College
    July 5-7, 2002
    More info on this free seminar at http://www.theihs.org/tab3/thefirst.html

    One of the key themes of the weekend is how we can balance legitimate
    concerns about security with the need to protect individual liberties. We'll
    also talk about how, during times of crisis, individual liberties are often
    sacrificed and are never fully recovered even after the crisis subsides. The
    role of politics in technology will certainly come up for discussion

    The seminar is free - attendees must pay travel to and from Bryn Mawr.  IHS
    covers tuition, meals, and (reasonably nice) campus digs.  We hope to have
    50 smart folks there for presentations, lots of discussion, and, as is the
    case with all IHS seminars, lots of fun.

    I really hope this seminar attracts folks from all across the political
    spectrum since I know the subject of civil liberties, terrorism, security,
    and war concerns people on the left, right, center, and libertarian.  I want
    to get smart people together who might disagree, but who are willing to
    discuss.

    For more about IHS which is a non-profit educational institute affiliated
    with George Mason University, visit http://www.theihs.org/meta/about.html

    *** So please pass along.  And if you receive this email, please continue to
    pass along to your friends in the ACLU or in the LP or at EFF or in various
    groups that have something to say about these issues, etc. ***

    I'm happy to answer any questions about seminar, the application process
    (which is quite easy) and so forth.  Email me at dchetsonat_private

    Damon Chetson
    Program Director
    Institute for Humane Studies
    http://www.TheIHS.org