FC: Rabbi Mermelstein on Google ad ban: Chill out, life is short

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 06:50:35 PST

    Rabbi Mermelstein writes a pro-gun column for Jews For The Preservation of
    Firearms Ownership, a serious Second Amendment advocacy group:
    http://www.jpfo.org/askrabbi.htm

    Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:12:00 -0800
    From: "R. Mermelstein" <ruvmerat_private>
    To: "Declan McCullagh (by way of Emily <milysat_private>)" <declanat_private>
    CC: jpfoat_private, ccurleyat_private, Legalriterat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: Google refuses business from gun, knife, bulk foodadvertisers

    Before y'all think I'm getting a bit stuffy and citing myself like verses from
    the Bible, see http://jpfo.org/alert20011017.htm:

         "Mainstream" and "law abiding".

          As a gun owner you are, despite all your protestations, not the former.

          How many laws will you gag on before you can no longer tolerate being the
    latter?

    Google is a business. They have the right to refuse service to anyone.
    Consumers
    have the right to take their advertising dollars elsewhere. We are not
    mainstream; they choose to turn away non-mainstream business. That's
    capitalism.
    "No shoes, no shirt, no service". Gun owners are bare footed and buck naked.
    Google is still my home page, since it does what I need from it on a frequent
    basis. And in their letter they reiterated that only ad words are scrutinized
    for, hmmm, non-mainstreamedness, not search results. Therefore, let's all
    take a
    deep breath, pop open a cold one and read the archived pages on
    www.dilbert.com.
    Life is too short for this !@#$.

    --RM