FC: Replies to Calif's Feinstein cozies up to SSSCA, anti-copying laws

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 21:07:41 PST

    "California's Sen. Feinstein cozies up to SSSCA, anti-copying laws"

    Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:56:37 +1100
    From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochraneat_private>
    To: declanat_private
    Subject: Re: FC: California's Sen. Feinstein cozies up to SSSCA,
    anti-copying laws

    Hi Declan

    I don't have too much sympathy for Hollywood.

    Back in 1996, while writing a story on digital distribution of music, I
    called all the major US-based record labels in Australia and asked them
    about MP3. None of them had heard of it. When I suggested it could kill
    their businesses, they scoffed at me. With a lot of heat, some accused me
    of fear mongering and being ill-informed.

    Two years ago, I got a similar response from some film distributors when I
    asked about DivX;) Seems these guys, despite being vertically and
    horizontally integrated, just don't learn the lessons from other divisions.

    The knee-jerk reaction of "Content Co.'s" after the horse has taken off
    down the laneway, is to build a steel wall where the gate once stood. Only,
    the old wooden fence is as ricketty as it ever was.

    The SSSCA is a bad law. But bad laws seem to be the order of the day in the
    US at the moment. The rest of the world wouldn't likely care, except the US
    uses its economic and political might to export bad laws on to the rest of us.

    Movie boss lets fly at PC pirates
    http://www.theage.com.au/1014704999792.html

    All Hollywood has to do is embrace the technology and do a better job than
    the crackers and hackers. Give the people what they want and the problem
    becomes an asset. But the myopia of people whose business is creative
    vision is renowned.

    Maybe someone should make a movie about it?

    I'm reminded of a scene in the 1993 movie written by Ebbe Roe Smith and
    starring Michael Douglas, Falling Down. Douglas' character, William
    Foster/D-Fens, walks into a fast food outlet. He is told that because the
    breakfast menu stopped a few minutes earlier, he can't have his order. He
    asks if the server remembers when the customer was always right?

    "That's not our motto," the server tells him through gritted teeth, and
    then loops the request to order from the lunch menu as if the previous
    conversation never happened.

    Seems the content industries are stuck in a loop, and they are demanding we
    pay. And if we don't, they have no scruples about bending representative
    democracy and our elected public servants to service their shareholders.

    FYI from Tuesday 15 August 2000

    Mayhem at the movies
    Michael Saunders' popular website, Global DiVX, is a small but important
    cog in a worldwide movement that threatens the movie industry's economic base.
    http://it.mycareer.com.au/communications/20000815/A2904-2000Aug14.html

    Smile, you're on ;-) camera
    DIVX ;-) is a rough and ready amalgam of two technologies - the MPEG4 video
    CODEC hacked from a beta version of Microsoft's Windows Media Player (WMP)
    and MP3 for the stereo sound track.
    http://it.mycareer.com.au/communications/20000815/A64645-2000Aug11.html

    See change in the video store
    HOLLYWOOD and its dependents have a narrow window of opportunity to avoid a
    rerun of the MP3 traumas that have beset the music recording industry. They
    can either embrace new technologies like DivX ;) or be swallowed by them.
    http://it.mycareer.com.au/columns/broadway/20000815/A64646-2000Aug11.html

    DivX;) Video
    http://media1.f2.com.au/ramgen.asp?fileid=1637

    ---