FC: CBDTPA hits House: Democratic legislator readying companion bill

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 13:29:32 PST

    Text of Rep. Adam Schiff's (D-California) "Dear Colleague" letter:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/schiff.dear.colleague.032702.html

    Politech archive on CBDTPA:
    http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cbdtpa/

       Another Punch for Copy Protection
       By Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)

       12:00 p.m. March 28, 2002 PST
       WASHINGTON -- A political brawl over mandatory copy protection is
       about to spread to the U.S. House of Representatives.

       A Democratic legislator from the home of the Walt Disney and Warner
       Bros. studios is drafting a bill to reduce online piracy by implanting
       strict copy controls in digital devices.

       On Wednesday, Rep. Adam Schiff of Burbank, California, circulated a
       letter on Capitol Hill seeking co-sponsors for his legislation, which
       he said would follow the same approach as the Consumer Broadband and
       Digital Television Promotion Act (CBDTPA) in the Senate.

       "I plan to introduce legislation that would safeguard digital content
       by spurring the rapid development of copyright protection technology,"
       Schiff's "Dear Colleague" letter said. "Similar legislation, S. 2048,
       has been introduced in the Senate. I believe this is a necessary step
       and I encourage you to join me in this effort.

       [...]