FC: More on censorhappy Washington politicos ban publishing police info

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 05:12:33 PST

    Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:44:17 -0500
    Subject: Re: FC: Censorhappy Wash. politicos meet the law of unintended
    	consequences
    From: "R. Polk Wagner" <polkat_private>
    To: <declanat_private>

    On 3/29/02 9:30 AM, "Declan McCullagh" <declanat_private> wrote:

     > ---
     >
     > Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 07:18:18 -0500
     > To: declanat_private, politechat_private
     > From: Duncan Frissell <frissellat_private>
     > Subject: Re: FC: Washington state goes censorhappy, bans publishing police
     > info
     >
     > At 12:28 AM 3/29/02 -0500, Declan McCullagh wrote:
     >> BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON:
     >>     {+ NEW SECTION. +}  Sec. 1.  A person or organization shall not,with
     >> the intent to harm or intimidate, sell, trade, give, publish,distribute,
     >> or otherwise release the residential address, residential telephone
     >> number, birthdate, or social security number of any law
     >> enforcement-related, corrections officer-related, or court-related
     >> employee or volunteer, or someone with a similar name, and categorize
     >> them as such, without the express written permission of the employee or
     >> volunteer unless specifically exempted by law or court order.
     >
     > I guess that means that the law enforcers of Washington State will no
     > longer be able to have credit records at the big three credit reporting
     > agencies since much of that information is obtained and transferred without
     > permission.

    Umm.  Not that this seems like a good law, but it does on its face above
    require an "intent to harm or intimidate" to trigger its application -- so I
    doubt that credit agencies have much to worry about.  It's clearly aimed at
    "troublemakers" and their ilk.  Not that that makes it any better, of
    course.

    Aside: Its amusing that the law allows the release of info -- for the
    "intent to harm or intimidate" -- if you get written permission.  Let's
    guess how many folks will give written permission for the dissemination of
    their personal information to assist in harming or intimidating them . . .

    --
    R. Polk Wagner