FC: The "hidden" privacy issue in Internet radio fees

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 05:08:02 PST

    Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:00:21 -0500
    To: declanat_private
    From: Stephen Cobb <scobbat_private>
    Subject: The "hidden" issue in Internet radio fees

    Declan

    There is a very interesting privacy issue hidden in the Copyright
    Arbitration Royalty Panel ("CARP") decision that Internet radio Webcasters
    should pay "performance rights."

    The Copyright Office, Library of Congress, has an NPRM "Notice and
    Recordkeeping for Use of Sound Recordings Under Statutory License" which
    seems to be directly aligned with the request of the Recording Industry
    Association of America (RIAA)
    (http://www.loc.gov/copyright/fedreg/2002/67fr5761.html)

    The NPRM proposes that Internet radio stations (and possibly fledgling
    satellite radio stations) be required to keep and submit for inspection a
    "Listener's Log" (their term) which will:

    "identify the name of the Service, the channel or program accessed,
    information on the user, such as date and time the user logged in and out,
    the time zone of the place at which the user received the transmission
    (latitude and longitude via IP address), the user identifier (MAC
    address?), and the country in which the user received the transmission."

    Here is what our Copyright Office thinks about this detailed tracking of
    listeners:

    "On its face, the request for the Intended Playlists, Listener's Log, and
    Ephemeral Phonorecord Log seems reasonably based on the premise that the
    copyright owners need certain specific information to monitor compliance
    and use by the Services. In support of its request for the detailed
    information, RIAA argues that the information it seeks from the Services is
    "easily provided, not burdensome, and in fact, is currently provided by a
    number of licensees who have obtained licenses through negotiations with
    the RIAA and/or Sound Exchange."

    I am sure some people will find this rather breathtaking. It certianly
    suggests that bigger Internet radio stations are already supplying the
    industry with records of what people listen to, along with when and where.

    Since I happen to enjoy listening to a local Internet radio station (Radio
    IO) I talked with the person who runs it (one person, Mike, in his spare
    time). He says he currently logs only what is necessary to report (and pay)
    the currently required "performance" fees. But that information is never
    provided to anyone in a way that makes it personally identifiable information.

    What really strikes me as strange about this position on the part of the
    Copyright office is that one can currently acquire access to digital music
    (or digital text) with no tracking (buy a CD or e-book with cash). And one
    can listen to FM without the FM station knowing who one is. Can one assume
    from this NPRM that people will soon have to register e-books and music CDs
    before opening them? Frankly, I could care less who knows what music I
    listen to, but I'm not sure I want everyone in the world to know that I
    listen to Bill Hicks, or that I read Harry Potter!

    Stephen

    p.s. Mike conservatively estimates that if the current proposals are upheld
    he will owe $500,000 in back-dated fees, and his station will rapidly move
    off-shore. He urges people to check out http://saveinternetradio.com