FC: ACM letter to ICANN: Scale back, pare down, get real

From: Declan McCullagh (declanat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 19:53:59 PST

    Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:17:41 -0800
    From: Barbara Simons <simonsat_private>
    To: Declan McCullagh <declanat_private>
    Subject: a USACM letter on ICANN

    Hi, Declan.  We have just sent a letter to ICANN in which we call for
    ICANN to scale down its mission and to focus on its core technical
    mission.  I've included a press release in Word and plain text.
    Regards,
    Barbara

    The First Society for Computing

    Contact: Jeff Grove
       202-659-9711
       jeff_groveat_private

    ACM PUBLIC POLICY EXPERTS EXPRESS CONCERN OVER THE FUTURE
    OF INTERNET GOVERNANCE AND POLICY-MAKING

    Joins Other Internet Groups in Calling for ICANN to Return to Core Tasks

    New York,  April 2, 2002 ? USACM, the U.S. Public Policy Committee of
    Association for Computing Machinery, called on the organization
    responsible for managing the Internet address system to scale down its
    operations and to focus on its core technical mission.  In a letter to
    Dr. Vinton G. Cerf, Chairman of the Internet Corporation for Assigned
    Names and Numbers (ICANN), and other Board members, USACM urged ICANN to
    curtail on-going policy development efforts and to work more closely
    with the technical community in performing the technical functions of
    its limited mission.

      "We agree with ICANN President M. Stuart Lynn that the Internet needs
    effective global coordination in some areas, and that reform is
    necessary," said Barbara Simons, Ph.D., co-chair of USACM.  "But ICANN
    must scale down its size and scope of operations to focus on its core
    function of coordinating Internet resources on a technical level."

      The letter to ICANN's leadership, also signed by USACM co-chair Eugene
    Spafford, Ph.D., warned that if ICANN insists on continuing on its
    current course of making policy as well as technical decisions, "there
    is greater need than ever for at least half of the board members to be
    elected representatives of the public."  Recently, ICANN voted to change
    its governing structure to eliminate the at-large representative who
    represents the public interest.   A copy of the recent USACM letter to
    ICANN may be found at: http://www.acm.org/usacm/IG/ICANN_Letter.htm

    ABOUT USACM

    ACM is a leading society of computer professionals in education,
    industry, and government.  The USACM facilitates communication between
    computer professionals and policy-makers on issues of concern to the
    computing community.  For more information, visit the USACM web site at
    http://www.acm.org/usacm.  #   #    #